All I need is S/PDIF in, stereo out. Recommend a laptop interface?

• Moderators

I want a bare bones interface to use with my laptop for location stereo overdubs. I work in Pro Tools but only need the interface to use with my API A2D S/PDIF out as my front end.

I'd burn a a mix from the beginning of the Pro Tools file and open in Reaper or Cubase or whatever to do on location piano overdubs. I don't need any other audio ins. Don't need midi, don't need mic amps, don't need anything... but S/PDIF in, stereo out. (I'll bring a little headphone amp for monitoring)

Does this exist? I know for 300 bucks an up there are plenty of things that do this and more... but I want only this for under say... $150. Seems like it should exist but I'm stumped.

Oh... and USB only.

• Members

I would love to get ahold of something like this myself. I have a laptop that I currently use with my Saffire pro26. When I get my next DAW together (rackmount pc this time) I'll be using the Saffire with it. I would still like to use the laptop for extra processing (hosting BFD, Guitar Rig, etc) but I don't really want to shell out for a whole new audio interface with i/o I don't need. I have a M-Audio Ozone for the laptop but it's audio converters are subpar and it lacks digital i/o.

It would be nice if there was a product that was meant just to add digital i/o to an existing DAW setup. Plenty of home studio users like their current soundcards but, as their needs grow, would enjoy the benefits of ADAT and S/PDIF. I'd like to see either a USB2 or Firewire device that was just ADAT and S/PDIF i/o, meant to work with an existing interface. The trick here, as I understand it, is that multiple audio interfaces often don't play well together. When selecting ASIO drivers, it is usually one device or the other.

Does anyone know of workarounds? Any sub-$150 devices with usable S/PDIF?

• CMS Author

It would be nice if there was a product that was meant just to add digital i/o to an existing DAW setup. Plenty of home studio users like their current soundcards but, as their needs grow, would enjoy the benefits of ADAT and S/PDIF. I'd like to see either a USB2 or Firewire device that was just ADAT and S/PDIF i/o, meant to work with an existing interface. The trick here, as I understand it, is that multiple audio interfaces often don't play well together. When selecting ASIO drivers, it is usually one device or the other.

Does anyone know of workarounds? Any sub-$150 devices with usable S/PDIF?

I hate to say it: Getamac. You can consolidate ASIO devices into the native OSX ASIO driver. The $79 CEntrance Universal ASIO Driver allows you to do the same thing under Windows XP, at least for the devices with which they've tested it.

M-Audio makes a gadget called the Lightbridge that has four sets of ADAT Optical inputs and outputs, The Edirol UA1-EX is about the simplest USB device that offers S/PDIF (optical) I/O, but you'll have to take the analog I/O as well whether you use it or not. Unfortunately, the market just isn't big enough for manufacturers to make an audio I/O device that doesn't have analog I/O unless it's a specialized product like the Lightbridge.

• Moderators

The Edirol UA1-EX is about the simplest USB device that offers S/PDIF (optical) I/O, but you'll have to take the analog I/O as well whether you use it or not.

That's dangeously close to what I need. Thanks. Are there issues with using an optical to coax converter like the one in the link below and is this what I would need to make it work for me?

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/10tp-08200.htm

• Moderators

Oh, I see you don't... they are coaxial and you wanted the converter for it.

Excuse my SPAM. I do use an M-Audio's TRANSIT. It is my swiss-army interface. It also has optical S/PDIF ports, together with analog. But you will need to use a converter, right.

You could also check the EMU 0404

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU0404

The Transit looks perfect as well. Thanks Gus. So does anyone know of the converter in the link of my previous post will work with either of these? It looks like I'm zeroing in...

• CMS Author

That's dangeously close to what I need. Thanks. Are there issues with using an optical to coax converter like the one in the link below and is this what I would need to make it work for me?

It should be OK, but when you consider that it's another lump, another cable, and another power supply, that's kind of defeating the convenience of laptop recording.

I'm pretty sure that Edirol made one perviously that had a coax S/PDIF interface. It's been discontinued, of course, but you might be able to turn one up through eBay. Sorry, I don't remember the model number, but the number was similar to the current model.

• Members

Ahh, I was trying to think of the CEntrance driver. Couldn't remember the name so thanks for the link. Has anyone here tried using it?

That Edirol unit looks to be the right device for my needs as far as getting cheap S/PDIF for my laptop.

Archived