Interesting article on mastering trends

• Members

Well , besides all the distortion, one group who's getting screwed by all this are the bass players!! I just checked out a song that measured 9.24 rms ( AES) in WL and the bass is starved out!! Really a shame because after I brickwalled everything above 250khz and soloed the bass line , the guy could play!!!! It's hard to catch all the nuiance he put into it in the full mix. Catchy little pop tune, but all 12 string rickenbackers and tenor vocals in your face!!! Really too bad. all focused in the 4-6khz range!! uggghhh. Maybe I notice because I 'm being an analytical musician ??? Do most people notice or care ?? With how long this has been going on I'd say not!

• Members

That part about Californication is especially interesting to me, because while I love the album, I just don't listen to it anymore because it sounds so terrible. I'd love to see that one get remastered.

Another profit center for record companies: In five years, we'll all buy recordings that have been "Digitally remastered not to sound like those dreadful CDs from the early 2000s"!

It's all a diabolical scheme...

• Members

Another profit center for record companies: In five years, we'll all buy recordings that have been "Digitally remastered not to sound like those dreadful CDs from the early 2000s"!

It's all a diabolical scheme...

:lol:

Phase one: Bad sounding 8-tracks

Phase two: Good sounding (but delicate) vinyl

Phase three: Bad sounding digital remastered CD

Phase four: Good sounding digital remastered CD

Phase five: Bad sounding file-compression scheme

Phase six: ???

• Members

Aren't they a little late to the party? I think the SSS community reached the same conclusions pretty much years ago!

Ah, but we're the insiders. This article is in a mainstream newspaper.

It's like car industry insiders who knew about exploding Pintos years before it hit the mainstream media.

I've often told the story of discussing re-mastered albums with on of my sister's friends (non musician, just a fan). She insisted that the re-masters were also edited to remove subtle sounds like the singer inhaling and the guitar strings squeaking that she knew were on her old vinyl. I said "no, they just raised the floor so much that there's no headroom for any details."

• Members

Aren't they a little late to the party? I think the SSS community reached the same conclusions pretty much years ago!

Better late than never. Good to know people are talking about this outside the recording/audiophile geek circles!

• Members

+100 (1 for each of the overcompression threads in SSS over the past couple years)

FWIW, I promise NOT to start any more overcompression complaint threads.

• Members

I don't know where you come up with these gems, but they always make me laugh.

My sole purpose is to entertain! Not only you but also myself.

Yesterday is was in Germany, finished composing & mixing a movie soundtrack. Drove home, where I arrived at 19:00 hours, went to town and drunk two bottles of wine with my assistent in order to free my mind for the work starting tomorrow...

Apropos dynamics, I decided to master test wise a famous, existing song, so it will have no dynamics at all and shows 0 dB RMS on the analyser.

• Members

Nice to see people are starting to respond to this crap.

Anyone heard that song "It ends tonight" by The All American Rejects? It's not a bad tune but I cannot stand to listen to it. The guy sounds like he's screaming an inch from my face. It's not only fatiguing, it almost makes me feel claustrophobic. There are no dynamics in that song, none.

It's amazing, so many great tools and yet music has never sounded worse.

Maybe while they are remastering the Red Hots, they can remaster Vapor Trails by Rush. I'm scared to listen to their new album for fear it's been through the compactor/loudifier.

Yeah, that's how I feel on fridays.

Archived