Reason 4 is out will you upgrade?

temnov

• Members

I will upgrade yes. Perhaps not until I upgrade to a Mac Pro from my G4.

As for it not being professional enough... well, that depends on what you do as a professional. I can certainly think of features Reason has lacked and areas where the sound quality could stand to improve (i.e. the high frequencies of Subtracter for instance) but, it really depends on what kind of work you do. Most professional electronic musicians I know use Reason a lot. Most of the remixes I have produced rely on Reason very heavily. If nothing else, it is a great way to get ideas out of your head.

• Members

I don't use it as much as I used to but I will eventually upgrade. Hopefully the new groove features will help me match up the goove of loops I create in Reason to the feel of the played in parts I match them with in Sonar.

It seems to me that a lot of professionals use Reason to create loops to pull into a DAW while a lot of amatures and semi-professionals claim Reason is not a professional program because it is not a full fledged DAW on it's own.

• Members

I just got copy of my Reason 4 and curious if you are interested in this upgrade?

Am I ever. Reason is the reason laptops were invented :) I'll be checking it out in the next day or two, I'm paticularly interested in the groove clip stuff, Thor, and the arpeggiator.

On the gearslutz there was a brief discussion where most people were saying it's not "professional" enough for them.

Their loss. You can do amazing music with Reason, and i daresay that no one could tell whether it was done with Reason of software costing much more. I think what they might be referring to is the fact that it doesn't do audio recording, but that's not what defines "professional." A Paul Reed Smith guitar can't record audio, either :)

• Members

Once Audiomidi process my Sonar 7P upgrade, and sends me the $25 coupon for ordering my Logic Pro 8 upgrade, I will apply that to a Reason 4 upgrade. Hmmm, NI should be shipping my Komplete upgrade pretty soon. I am going to need a month or two off to get adjusted again. I wish companies would spread these out.

• Members

Me personally, I think it's a great tool. I'm using it in Rewire mode all the time. You can create a lot of great sounds using different modules.

In 4 I like this Groove module and Thor. By the way, sequencer is much more better, too.

• Members

I am sure I will upgrade, but not right away. Reason 3 had to get to 3.04 before I liked it, so I'll let at least one or two incremental updates come out before I plunk down my $.

I am really looking forward to the regroove mixer and the upgrades to the sequencer.

I have tried Thor, and it does sound very good, but it alone wouldn't make me upgrade. Plus, one thing I didn't like about Thor was the inability to control envelope retriggering. There were some polyphonic patches that I could not get to retrigger the envelope when pressing a key while there was another key still pressed. To me, Thor seems to be their answer to NI's Massive synth, and so far, my nod goes to Massive. Having said that, I'll bet Thor is a significantly lower hit on the CPU than Massive.

The arpeggiator looks promising, although at this point I have plenty of other arpeggiators, so it is not a necessary tool in Reason.

WRT Reason not being pro, I understand and agree with both sides of the argument. To me, most of the sounds in Reason seem to lack upper frequencies and/or don't have the presence that many others do. On the flip side, getting real music out of Reason is easy and intuitive, and Reaon has NEVER crashed on my Mac or my PC. Reason absolutely wins the workflow award over every other competitor IMHO. Plus, I never have to deal with the silly licensing issues with Reason like I do with all my other music software. Now, if we could just talk propellerhead into adopting the Reason licensing scheme for Recycle...

• Members

I am on this like white on rice.

Thor sounds very, very good. Swapping out the different oscillator and filter types lets it have qualities that can be associated with different types of classic synths. This will no doubt get argued extensively, but my sense was that the classic impressions were of high quality.

The sample patches go through a lot of this vintage territory, as well as hosting excursions into the modular synth galactic bleeps quadrant. These are just with Thor alone, start patching in the other Reason devices, and there is much fun to be had. The modulation matrix is sick.

The new sequencer is most welcome and brings Reason into world's best sketchpad territory, if not more.

As for the pro/not pro issue, if you approach the program with good knowledge of recording and production, your Reason tracks will reflect that.

If you are not digging the high freq response of the older synths, try again in Thor and let us know. There's a downloadable free demo. :love: The Props would probably be reluctant to change the older instruments and affect the way anyone's existing song sounds.

• Members

On the gearslutz there was a brief discussion where most people were saying it's not "professional" enough for them.

What do you think?

:confused:

What was the logic behind their reason that it wasn't professional? Do they have some sort of acid test? I wonder if their arguments would have any tracktion with a typical performer in a garage band or with anyone who plays live. If they don't like this software, then what's on their radar? It makes me wonder what they consider to be pro tools...

Best,

Geoff

• Members

the drum samples in reason were never really good enough for me... but the program itself is fantastic. incredibly intuitive and very conducive to the creative process :thu:

i wish there was a way to control BATTERY 3 with the reason sequencer or ReDrum

that said, i'll upgrade when i feel like it.

• Members

What was the
logic
behind their
reason
that it wasn't professional? Do they have some sort of
acid
test? I wonder if their arguments would have any
tracktion
with a typical
performer
in a
garage band
or with anyone who plays
live
. If they don't like this software, then what's on their
radar
? It makes me wonder what they consider to be
pro tools

Best,

Geoff

Nicely done.

As far as the pro issue... I think a lot of people expect it to be a DAW, when it's not. They want editing features, etc..... I don't think that's what the program was designed to do. And for therecord, I think it's an extremely powerful program - and a great value. Try buying all of the components that are in reason separately, and see how much it costs. Now, I will say, that there are other programs/modules that, IMO, do sound better than Reason, but many of them for just the sampler (as an example) cost what Reason costs. I think another issue is that a lot of people just slap on the presets with Reason, and oftentimes it's very apparent, which, IMO, lends to many people viewing Reason as sounding "canned."

Archived