Buying a new Laptop.....Help

The dman

• Members

Hello

I'm going to order a laptop for my wife a Dell Vostro 1500 (with xp). She'll be using it for her small business I don't know much about the new systems or laptops and was wondering if some of you enlighten me. Here are a few questions

She'll be using this for basic office stuff but she'll also need to run Crystal reports and other software relating to Database management. obviously this is for when she's on then road as I'm sure she'll use the desktop mostly at home.

1. Is there much difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 processor (Intel Core2)? $130 worth?

2. What about graphics card? Is there any need to step up to the 128 mb card for $99 more?

I'd like to get her a system that will be somewhat expandable for future upgrade if needed without robbing a bank to do it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank You

Here's the specs of what I have so far:

PROCESSOR Intel

• Members

In my opinion, it's better to get the fastest processor you "can afford" even though there is a slight difference between the speed. This is only if you can afford it.

Regarding the graphics card memory. If you are going to use a computer for "graphics related task" say like photo editing/graphics design/web design then I highly recommend a separate graphics memory so you can get maximum clarity/resolution. If you will be doing mainly data base stuff/word/text processing the the amount of RAM you have in the specs is way then enough for "Windows XP."

Besides you can aways shut down visual elements that uses a lot of memory.

Just a reminder, you can also use AMD Processors which are a little cheaper then their Pentium Counter Parts but thats highly subjective.

Make sure you get a computer that's upgradeable to Windows Vista for the future. My current music computer is not Vista Compatible and so I cannot upgrade it.

But your specs look great. Again if you have the money go with the best, it will save you tons in the future.

AI

• Members

I see no problems with Dell... I favored HP over the previous Dell design but with the introduction of the new series and Vostro I see them equal. Having purchased dozens of each I have no complaints and regularly order more.

To get what has been the biggest flame topic out of the way - glad to see you're going XP... I've ended up downgrading several recent laptops from Vista because of software incompatibilities and usb device troubles. This goes double for business apps.

Imo what you've got should be sufficient... Really the minimum laptops these days are almost overkill for basic operation. I tend to upgrade the battery option for aim for a minimum of 1GB ram - 2 if possible. I usually do not worry about video upgrades unless there is some specific multimedia requirement. I think the difference of processors for db apps would be negligble.

Laptops in general to not lend themselves to upgrading, I don't put much priority on that myself.

edit -

As the previous poster mentioned, aiming for the most cpu you can afford is usually a good idea though.

• Members

I see no problems with Dell... I favored HP over the previous Dell design but with the introduction of the new series and Vostro I see them equal. Having purchased dozens of each I have no complaints and regularly order more.

To get what has been the biggest flame topic out of the way - glad to see you're going XP... I've ended up downgrading several recent laptops from Vista because of software incompatibilities and usb device troubles. This goes double for business apps.

Imo what you've got should be sufficient... Really the minimum laptops these days are almost overkill for basic operation. I tend to upgrade the battery option for aim for a minimum of 1GB ram - 2 if possible. I usually do not worry about video upgrades unless there is some specific multimedia requirement. I think the difference of processors for db apps would be negligble.

Laptops in general to not lend themselves to upgrading, I don't put much priority on that myself.

edit -

As the previous poster mentioned, aiming for the most cpu you can afford is usually a good idea though.

Yeah.. I love HP's all my computers are HP but their Tech/customer support sucks.

AI

• Members

I think the sata / non sata thing may have more to do with what mainboard chipset they're using than the drive itself, but usually there's not a huge difference. Drive speed is the much more important spec.

Unless you are doing some kind of gaming or rendering, I'm not certain you would benefit from more graphics memory.

Just my 1c :)

• Members

Will a bigger processor take more battery power and create more heat to the point of being a problem?

Does anybody know if a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4499 is a better choice?

Thanks for all your help guys you helped me more in 20 minutes than I got from spending a few hours on the net. I owe you one

• Members

Thanks for the info guys, here's a couple more

Is there any advantage to Sata 5400 rpm vs plain vannila 5400 rpm?

Will a 128 mb graphics card draw more from the computer or take more load off? Or is it a trade off?

thanks

Computer requires memory to display graphics/images. When you use a graphics card that does not have dedicated memory, it shares memory with the system memory thus adding an extra burden on the system memory.

This means as long as your computer is running, the graphics card is taking/using up memory.

Eg. You buy a computer with 1gb of RAM and your graphics card uses 128 of shared memory, this means your total system RAM is about 872mb. This does not add the running of the operating system or additional programs like virus/adware/spam ware and other crap that comes with computer.

But If you add a graphics card that has "dedicated" memory, it leaves the system memory and run on it's own turf.

And once again this "Windows XP" it self is not memory Intensive.

Your concerns regarding memory should be, what are you going to be running on the computer.

Are you doing graphics designs/game designs/running/music recording?

These task are usually CPU/Memory intensive. Just get a computer that has memory expandability, you can upgrade as your needs grow.

My advise is look at the softwares you/your wife would be running on the computer and read their system/memory requirements, this way you know where you stand.

As for drives, I'm not familiar with the Vannila Drives, so I cannot say accept for what I read. But regardless of what drive you use. Back every thing up, with China in The game, nothing is reliable anymore.

AI

• Members

Eg. You buy a computer with 1gb of RAM and your graphics card uses 128 of shared memory, this means your total system RAM is about 872mb. This does not add the running of the operating system or additional programs like virus/adware/spam ware and other crap that comes with computer.

Usually the shared memory schemes are 'floating' and adjust on demand. So if you are just viewing 'normal' applications, the subsystem will not grab all that space. Video doesn't use that much either... it's primarly games and anything 3D that eats video memory.

• Members

Will a bigger processor take more battery power and create more heat to the point of being a problem?

Most mobile processors use some kind of variable clock, and because the amount of time most laptops spend at 100% utilization is rather small, the difference in the cpus you are considering is small.

Can't comment on the Toshiba.

• Members

Thanks for all your help guys you helped me more in 20 minutes than I got from spending a few hours on the net. I owe you one

I'm currently using an HP Pavilion DV2000 and I love it. This thing is dead quiet. Not a single sound. And it's AMD. Works for me.

To conclude your question, heat related issues are mainly based on components and systems design. The better the designs/layout/components of the computer the better. Like I also pointed out, most computers are being made in China so they are all getting the same hands except for concept and design which HP wins in my opinion.

To conclude, your specs are good, go with that you have. Some computers are noisy. Lets say a computer has a larger heat sink that takes lots of heat from the processor and only causes the fan to run on very limited bases. Maybe the computer has a very small heat sink and so the fan must run more often. In my opinion, it's not the processor but rather the design and placement of components. How the circuits are laid out.

How freaking cheap are the IC's and OP Amplifiers and JFET/FET/SCFET and all the Resistors/diodes/zdiodes/power supply/capacitors. If these components are cheap it will affect the system. Just a little desert if you don't mind. :thu:

AI

• Members

Usually the shared memory schemes are 'floating' and adjust on demand. So if you are just viewing 'normal' applications, the subsystem will not grab all that space. Video doesn't use that much either... it's primarly games and anything 3D that eats video memory.

I'm currently using Windows Vista and so I'm thinking the Vista effect, this thing takes half the freaking memory. But the looks is just beautiful.

AI

• Members

I'm currently using an HP Pavilion DV2000 and I love it. This thing is dead quiet. Not a single sound. And it's AMD. Works for me.

I've got one or two of them as well. Also very happy. But for the OP's inquiry, I think he's fine.

The suggest to back up cannot be overstated, no matter what system you choose.

Archived