Home Depot Declares Barbecue Season Over

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

I went to Home Depot today to buy a couple of bags of charcoal briquets. They have the best price (Two 24 pound bags of Kingsford for about $11), but I didn't see any where they normally are. I asked at the Customer "service" counter and was told that it's past barbecue season and they might or might not get any more in stock.

Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these cooks from the swift completion of their appointed grilling or slow completion of their appointed smoking. Why should Home Depot?

• Members

Mike,

As a fellow grillmaster, BBQ`ing a year round sport IMO.

Those long 3-4 hour baby back rib smoke jobs are most welcome here.

As for charcoal prices, try BJs or any of those larger wholesale joints.

$11 is a pretty good deal! Got to get to my Home Depot and check that out.

EB

• Members

Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these cooks from the swift completion of their appointed grilling or slow completion of their appointed smoking.

:thu: It can be 20 degrees outside with a foot of snow on the ground and I'll still be out in the backyard in my winter clothes and boots, barbecuing steaks on the grill. I'm dedicated.

• Members

Yeah, Home Depot's definition of "seasonal items" is pretty broad.

I went in there looking for an air cleaner - not a fan, mind you, but an air filterer/cleaner. Saleslady says, "O no, season's over for those".

Clean air has a season??:confused:

Oh well, it's just business and inventory management. Welcome to the era of the one-deep inventory shelf and everything in temporary supply.

To everything there is a season....

nat whilk ii

• Members

It can be 60 degrees outside in the middle of a winter cold streak and I'll still be out in the backyard in my winter clothes (T-shirt & jeans),

aaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!

"t-shirt and jeans"? "winter clothes"?

aaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

aaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!

"t-shirt and jeans"? "winter clothes"?

aaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

:lol:

When God said "Let there be light" Chuck Norris said "Say Please..."... and Phil said "Come on Chuck, let the guy work and let me finish my BBQ peacefully".

• CMS Author

Considering that Costco had X-mas stuff out 3 weeks ago - the full spread.... I think all retailers are running about 2 to 3 months too early.

Yes, I did see Christmas trees on display at the Home Depot the other day. Somehow I don't think that pine-smoked ribs would be very tasty.

We have a big restaurant supply store where I get 20 pound bags of real charcoal at a pretty decent price and they have briquets as well. But Home Depot is half a mile from me, and Restaurant Depot is a 25 mile round trip. Adding in the cost of gas, I'd have to buy a lot of charcoal in one trip for it not to be cheaper by the 5 pound bag at Trader Joe's.

• Members

:thu:
It can be 20 degrees outside with a foot of snow on the ground and I'll still be out in the backyard in my winter clothes and boots, barbecuing steaks on the grill. I'm dedicated.

I'm a New York City resident myself, and I usually pack the grilling up around the middle of November. Though I'd never turn down a nicely charred steak, I'm not sure I get all of you hardcore grill-in-the-snow types.

Why shiver your ass off when you could be sipping a mug of porter over a simmering pot of beef stew. Or taking in the delicious bubbling sounds coming from the oven as the scent of rosemary and roasting chicken fills the room. Or plunging a batch of browned meatballs into a bubbling cauldron of homemade marinara for a good long soak, wooden spoon in hand.

I enjoy cold weather food every bit as much as barbecue. I'm hungry.

• Members

Why shiver your ass off when you could be sipping a mug of porter over a simmering pot of beef stew. Or taking in the delicious bubbling sounds coming from the oven as the scent of rosemary and roasting chicken fills the room. Or plunging a batch of browned meatballs into a bubbling cauldron of homemade marinara for a good long soak, wooden spoon in hand.

Nice, but not the same as a mouth-watering charbroiled/barbecued steak. ;)

Archived