Music theory & other cool stuff free from MIT

philbo

• Members

I was a little disappointed that the reading materials -- perhaps understandably -- aren't included. So you have the syllabi, assignments, quizzes and such, but the guts of the material is missing.

Buying a book or two under the circumstances doesn't seem out of the question, of course -- but the one lesson I downloaded on music composition assigned a book not available to the public -- one made up of chapters from other books.

(We can only hope that the arrangement at MIT for such photocopy compilations is different than it was at my old uni, where a local copy shop was paying profs and instructors hefty "royalties" for such "custom" books assigned out of their classes and "compiled" by the teachers -- but not paying a dime to the original authors of the works or the publishers. No instructors were punished, as I recall, but the copy store was put out of business when the sordid -- and illegal -- arrangement was revealed. More of the fine work of former CSULB prez turned Republican politician, Stephen Horn.)

• Members

I was a little disappointed that the reading materials -- perhaps understandably -- aren't included. So you have the syllabi, assignments, quizzes and such, but the guts of the material is missing.

Buying a book or two under the circumstances doesn't seem out of the question, of course -- but the one lesson I downloaded on music composition assigned a book not available to the public -- one made up of chapters from other books.

(We can only hope that the arrangement at MIT for such photocopy compilations is different than it was at my old uni, where a local copy shop was paying profs and instructors hefty "royalties" for such "custom" books assigned out of their classes and "compiled" by the teachers -- but not paying a
dime
to the original authors of the works or the publishers. No instructors were punished, as I recall, but the copy store was put out of business when the sordid -- and illegal -- arrangement was revealed. More of the fine work of former CSULB prez turned Republican politician, Stephen Horne.)

Funny how the eternal rule still holds up:

You can always find the culprit by following the money. ;)

• Members

When Horn was appointed by then-governor Reagan, the school had just been scheduled to officially become a university. Under Horn's long watch, the university lost accreditation for a number of departments -- some of them temporarily, like the very business department that Horn had held up as an example of how he wanted to return the college to its trade tech roots -- others permanent, like the journalism school.

Horn seemed to do everything he could to reverse academic progress at the institution, fighting against professors and the academic senate at every turn, cutting funding for academic programs and promoting commercial franchises and sweetheart deals on campus. Under his leadership, the student union, then dominated by the fraternities, gained enormous power and was implicated in a series of money scandals.

When Horn left the presidency (he was essentially forced out) there was 3 million dollars missing from the university's general fund. Where was it? Was it stolen? We never found out.

But Horn went immediately into Republican congressional politics and served several terms as the rep for the wealthy beachside neighborhoods of Belmont Shore and Naples.

• Members

Wow - - sounds like a real jewel of a guy... Karma will catch him though, it always does.

-------------------------

I was a little disappointed that some of the classes are not very complete, too. But there is enough stuff there to keep me occupied for a couple days (at least!)

Archived