Sorry Craig I had to make fun of the graphic designers at EQ

• Members

no, that is just horrible... and being a professional graphic designer, i think i have an eye for things like that. seriously, that is a REALLY BAD ad. its not "retro", its not even good enough to be kitsch. however i didnt even notice the ad in the magazine until i looked at it on the link. i think my 7yo could have done a better ad.

• Members

Those colors, fonts and the vertical bars do actually fit in the same context.

Maybe you did not get they were not trying to make it look "modern" but rather "retro" ? -and then I do not know why they did choose the "retro" style-

I would have called it post-modern retro but -- yeah -- I figured that's what the designer was going for too.

But having been "too hip" for my own good more than a couple times I have to say that surfing trends is a lot like... well... surfing...

You have to get out in front of the wave to ride it --but get too far out ahead and you fall out and go head over ankle leash.

PS... I note that the home page of the EQ vid site has since undergone a makeover and it's definitely better... but... a bit heavy handed for my taste. That big metal-gray 'bezel' around the vid area seems kind of oppressive.

PPS... a video site is probably increasingly necessary for the inreasingly post-literate (and increasingly post-intellectual, post-logical) recording wannabes out there. I get so tired of trying to explain things with words and logic only to be confronted with the saddening realization that all too many of those one is addressing are simply all but incapable of absorbing information through words and logic. And processing that info with their own logical or analytical abilities? Fuggedaboutit...

• Members

Had the designer done it any differently would you be talking about it now?

i didnt even notice it in the magazine but only took a look because of this thread. i think this thread made more impact for the ad for most than the design itself, other than it being the focus of this. weird.

Archived