How do you think?

• Members

I often think the brain is an apparatus with which I think I think.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This of course is true only of certain persons. Where I, after careful observation, think that the brain is used to store the tv news from yesterday.

• Members

Thinking is for me mostly a sort of going quiet and waiting for things to emerge from the unfathomable underground lake of unconsciousness.

Then, while I can still remember the stuff that drifts up to the surface, I can sort them, organize them, modify them somewhat, and then make a conclusion or statement or something like that.

At which time it all drops slowly back down into the dark lake, drifting out of view gradually until called forth again at some future date, maybe.....

Totally at the mercy of memory it seems to me.

Thinking well, or being smart, then I suppose is quick and accurate recall combined with fast and logical manipulation of recalled stuff.

Plus a factor I guess I would call "focus". Now that's a hard one for most of us...

nat whilk ii

• Members

In the grand scheme of things, our job at present, is to learn to control our thoughts.

It seems to me, society today invents as many ways as possible to avoid that responsibility.

Those that are aware of it will survive, the rest will perish, and evolution will move forward.

Not worth worrying about really.

• Members

I think a lot. All of the time. When I'm out on one of my long walks, I'm always trying to figure out life's mysteries. I don't know how much confidence I place in my conclusions though. Maybe that's a good thing. I hate people who think they know everything. Yet, you still ought to arrive at some conclusions with at least some amount of certainty. Right?

In the grand scheme of things, our job at present, is to learn to control our thoughts.

It seems to me, society today invents as many ways as possible to avoid that responsibility.

They want you to think. They just want you to think what they think.:)

• Members

I think a lot. All of the time. When I'm out on one of my long walks, I'm always trying to figure out life's mysteries. I don't know how much confidence I place in my conclusions though. Maybe that's a good thing. I hate people who think they know everything. Yet, you still ought to arrive at some conclusions with at least some amount of certainty. Right?

They
want
you to think. They just want you to think what
they
think.
:)

Who is "they"?

• Members

Everyone else is they.

Rule 1 about thinking and opinions: absolute certainty about anything is iffy, but on the other hand it's the believers that actually start things, change things, get things done, and rule the future.

A humble, open-minded believer is the goal. I think it's possible but incredibly difficult.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Well, often my eyes move up and slightly to the right, which must be where my processor is located.

Sometimes I fiddle with my facial hair.

If my train of thought were to be mapped, it would be the equivalent of seeing a map of a trip from, say, Seattle to Los Angeles. The trail would go from Seattle to Olympia, disappear for a moment, appear in Oslo, do a few spins around town, jump back to the US on I-5, down to Portland, hang out for a bit, do some meandering, take a detour over to Denver, back to I-5, transport to Alpha Centauri to grab a sandwich, transport back to Mexico City, then it's just a hop, skip and a jump to LA.

I get there the same as others, it just takes me a little longer, and I see more interesting sights along the way.

• Members

If Uncle Sam wanted you to think, he would have issued you a brain.
;)

Were you in the army too?

I never got my standard issue brain. I think you have to re-up for a 2nd term of duty to get that. At least that's how it was back in the day.

• Members

Tedster!! The delightful Miss Tippi Hedren, replete with 50's-style torpedo-breasts... do women get any better than that? Good taste, my friend.
;):D

Why thank you. Mmmm...torpedo breasts!

Ms. Hedren and her feathered friend there are my Halloween avatar this year, with a nod to one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

The mark of a great movie to me is one that I can watch anytime, and not tire of it. That's one of those movies.

BTW...another performer from that movie was in one of my other favorite horror movies of all time. Funny how that works out...

• Members

Were you in the army too?

I never got my standard issue brain. I think you have to re-up for a 2nd term of duty to get that. At least that's how it was back in the day.

is that why bush lacks his own brain? he enlisted in the guard but never showed up... im sure all that white powder he sucked into his nasal cavity rotted any chance he might of had in obtaining a brain implant.

• Members

How do I think?

As infrequently as possible. Thinking is a mistake. Thinking breeds anger, jealosy, envy, discontent. All the great ideas come from being, not thinking. Thinking is mind talk. Being is doing.

Very well put. A true zen approach.

To quote Kurt Vonnegut:

"To be is to do"--Socrates.

"To do is to be"--Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Do be do be do"--Frank Sinatra.

Archived