OT: Shower conservation question

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I have one of those enormo-pan showerheads. It's luxurious. I love it. And I don't want to replace it.

But there's many times when I want less water to come out of it. Does anyone know of a way of getting a stem / shower arm (or whatever the pipe is that comes out of the wall and terminates at the showerhead) that has a flow adjustment valve so I can conserve on water? Thanks! I can't seem to find it by Googling, largely because I don't know exactly what it's called.

• Members

I think you hit on it -- they call them valves.

But what you need for what you want is a more adjustable shower head, itself -- that allows you to not only control the water flow (your shower valves already do that) but actually narrow the overall shower head aperture -- unless you restrict the outflow at the head somehow, just reducing the pressure to the head will produce a wimpier output. What you need to do is either make the holes smaller or reduce the number of them so that the reduced water flow won't result in reduced pressure inside the head.

• Members

I misread this thread title as being about shower
conversation

"Oh {censored}, we're out of soap."

"Can you pass the shampoo?"

"Is this water getting colder, or is it just me?"

"Did you use this towel on the dog last weekend? You did wash it, right?"

;)

Dude.

Me, too...

Let me guess: at least the last two were spoken by the distaff half of the duo. ;)

• Members

ditto, i dont even know why i clicked on it really.

Because all my threads are fascinating. And even if they weren't, y'all would make it fascinating!

Okay, here's more shower conversation:

"Hey, stop standing in front and bogarting all the water!!"

"Aww, no, dropped the soap...again!!"

• Members

If you want to use less water try showering with cold water. I had to awhile back for a couple of days because the hot water was out due to plumbing repairs in the building. Its amazing just how little water you really need for a shower. :lol:

Steve

• Members

If you want to use less water try showering with cold water. I had to awhile back for a couple of days because the hot water was out due to plumbing repairs in the building. Its amazing just how little water you really need for a shower.
:lol:

Steve

Yeah, that would save on a LOT of water....but pass!!! :D

• Members

That's what I used to do, but it doesn't work that way any longer. I have one handle now that controls hot/cold, and when I turn it on, it turns into full-blast in a hurry, and then you adjust whether you want hot/cold. The miniscule "window of opportunity" where you can adjust the flow is at the very bottom end of the cold water, and I can't hang with that, largely because it's uncomfortable, and largely because I have a bad back, and heating it in the morning before stretching is virtually essential.

• Members

That's what I used to do, but it doesn't work that way any longer. I have one handle now that controls hot/cold, and when I turn it on, it turns into full-blast in a hurry, and then you adjust whether you want hot/cold. The miniscule "window of opportunity" where you can adjust the flow is at the very bottom end of the cold water, and I can't hang with that, largely because it's uncomfortable, and largely because I have a bad back, and heating it in the morning before stretching is virtually essential.

I see. Well, go to any plumbing department at a store and they should have a low-flow adapter that fits into the showr head. It's a little plastic thing that impedes the flow of water.

When I was on the road full time I used to carry wrenches and take the shower heads apart to remove those things :evil: so I could get decent showers for the week and not feel like three guys were pissing on me.

I always put them back when I left, though...:cool:

• Members

Change the shower "handle" (as you called it) water control. The valves are getting old and corroded with solids. That's why your adjustments are non-existent. Not the funnest job.

That's what I used to do, but
it doesn't work that way any longer
. I have one handle now that controls hot/cold, and when I turn it on, it turns into full-blast in a hurry, and then you adjust whether you want hot/cold. The miniscule "window of opportunity" where you can adjust the flow is at the very bottom end of the cold water, and I can't hang with that, largely because it's uncomfortable, and largely because I have a bad back, and heating it in the morning before stretching is virtually essential.

• Members

Change the shower "handle" (as you called it) water control. The valves are getting old and corroded with solids. That's why your adjustments are non-existent. Not the funnest job.

The shower and all the piping is brand-new, freshly installed. That's the way the controls work!!! Everything is brand-new brass fittings, copper pipes, etc.

Archived