I'm thinking of getting a crappy banjo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I started on a piece of crap guitar, and that didn't hurt me any.

Are you absolutely sure about that? ;)

What little experience I have with banjos indicates that they are really loud. Hard to play softly on a banjo. Other than that have fun. I would go with mandolin before I tried banjo, but that's me.

• CMS Author

I kind of want a banjo, but why not just get one of those $99 piece of crap banjos? I started on a piece of crap guitar, and that didn't hurt me any.

I started out on a $35 guitar and when I got a $100 guitar, my playing improved. But I like playing my $100 banjo as much as my $10,000 banjo.

What $99 banjo are you looking at? And I suppose I should ask what you want to play on it? Bluegrass? Old time square dance style? Folky stuff? Just another texture for rock music? 4-string? 5-string? banjo-guitar? banjo-uke? banjo-tuba?

The Deering Good Time and Gold Tone banjos are about $300 and are good enough so that they won't hurt your playing. They sound sound pretty good and they're well made. I don't know of a new banjo cheaper than those that I'd recommend. It's just not very rewarding to play a crappy instrument.

If you don't want to spend that much, look for a funky music store and see what they have in the used stock. They may have taken one of the new $300 banjos in on trade for something classier. I don't know stores in your area. There used to be a pretty good folky instrument shop in Claremont but I haven't been there for several years. It may no longer exist. I can't remember the name. If McCabe's is still around and still sells instruments, they might be of some help.

I might not know much about accounting or computers, but I know a bit about banjos.

• Members

What $99 banjo are you looking at?

Looking at any major online retailer (Musician's Friend will suffice), there sem to be a few banjos between $99 and $139 that would qualify.

And I suppose I should ask what you want to play on it? Bluegrass? Old time square dance style? Folky stuff? Just another texture for rock music? 4-string? 5-string? banjo-guitar? banjo-uke? banjo-tuba?

I'll probably be doing some folksy textures. I play a little bluegrass, and can do some Travis picking on my Martin D-18, but I'm not looking to be some banjo virtuoso. I'm probably looking at a traditional 5-string.

Yes, I'd rather get a better-quality instrument (like a Deering), but I might do that anyway if I enjoy playing a banjo at all (which has yet to be determined). And yes, I should probably check the used market first... good call.

If McCabe's is still around and still sells instruments, they might be of some help.

McCabe's is around, but I'm scared to go in there because I seem to want to write checks for $10,000 every time I walk in the door.

I might not know much about accounting or computers, but I know a bit about banjos.

I had no idea you were a banjoist until now. :thu:

• Members

Did you know there are 6-string banjo's???

Tuned just like a GTR I think.

Yeah. Neil Young used one pretty often. In fact, James Taylor played the banjo line on Neil's "Old Man" using a 6-string guitar-tuned banjo.

It feels like a bit of a cop-out though. If I'm going to play the damn thing, I should do it right.

• Members

I bought myself a crappy mandolin on a whim - I now play that more than my bass which, laughably, is supposed to be my first instrument.

And then I won a crappy ukulele and that got me a semi jokey solo acoustic gig in a folk club where my little folk trio now plays.

You're very unlikely to ever think to yourself, "Hey everything's going great in my life . . . except . . damn, I wish I'd never laid eyes on that friggin' banjo."

• Members

I have an old tenor banjo that my grandfather gave me.

I use it for my German polka gigs.

I say, get yourself a cheap banjo. If you like it, you can always upgrade.

One question, though...Where are all the banjo player jokes?

I thought I'd see a ton of them by now.

• Members

;)

but... but... it's not pointy! :(

Believe it or not, I played a banjo thru college, even played in a gigging bluegrass band for one summer (although primarily fiddle). I had a crappy $99 banjo and it sounded just fine. Remember that, unlike most stringed instruments, the tone chamber is just a metal hoop with a plastic drumhead stretched over it; as long as the neck's straight and the tuners don't slip, you'll probably be fine. The first time you pick out the melody notes of a tune, and your three digits automatically fill in the spaces with Scruggs rolls without thinking about it, is a cool feeling indeed! :thu:

I put the damn thing in a pawnshop my senior year and kinda forgot about it. When I returned a year later, it was a pizza joint; don't know whatever happened to that thing...

• Members

I kind of want a banjo, but why not just get one of those $99 piece of crap banjos? I started on a piece of crap guitar, and that didn't hurt me any.

Plus, I figure if I hate the thing, I'm only out $99.

Someone talk me into (or out of) doing this.

I bought a $100 banjo by mail from Musician's friend. (Heck, it came with a case, book, and DVD, too.)

None of the superstores around had any banjos for less than a couple hundred but I really wish I could have picked from a few instruments. This one COULD be ok but there's a couple little glitchy things.

I was playing a $40 mandolin a buddy got form Sam or GC or MF and I thought that was a better buy, quality wise. But I imagine THAT's a real crap shoot, too, if you buy sight unseen.

Anyhow, I keep thinking maybe I can tweak this thing a little and get a little bit better sound/action out of it. (One string sounds a little 'sitar-y,' so to speak.)

• Members

Did you know there are 6-string banjo's???

Tuned just like a GTR I think.

Even the Doobie Brothers used a banjo in some of their songs ... go for it Jeff.

Russ

Nashville

I can't tell you why but that is just so wrong...

I tried one way back when and, while it was instantly playable by a guitarist, it's not like you can't figure out a banjo in about ten minutes. And another 15 to read up on the proper use of the 5th string, maybe. ;)

I guess one problem with the 6 string, 4ths tuned banjo-like thing is that you DO end up playing it like a guitar and not a banjo -- and that's okay if all you're looking for is plinky, annoying strings. :D

But, for me, the thing about banjo is how it's played and the particular kind of sounds it brings in its typical arpeggiation style.

• Members

But, for me, the thing about banjo is
how
it's played and the particular kind of sounds it brings in its typical arpeggiation style.

Agreed. The banjo has as much sustain as a Red Hat lady running up the stairs. It's magic, whether used for bluegrass or for Bach a la Bela Fleck, is the flurry of notes that don't stumble all over each other.

Strumming a four-stringer in a dixieland band works ok, but its a very limited sound, more rhythm than chord support, kinda like a clavinet.

Archived