Allison Kraus and Robert Plant

echoshock

• Members

I've heard several tracks and was pleasantly surprised at the results of an unlikely (at least to me) collaboration. I caught the first track on the radio about halfway through, so I didn't know who it was until after it was over. So I honestly didn't have the artists' name in mind when I was forming my opinion on that song. They've played several more cuts from the disc this evening.

• Members

Holy crap, have you heard this album yet? Covers of Gene Clark, Sam Phillips, Townes Van Zandt, Mel Tillis, Tom Waits and the Everly Brothers. This is amazing stuff. Check it out.

Holy crap, indeed.

Anyone who covers Gene Clark is A-OK in my book, though. I loved that guy. [Though the one time I saw him [while he was still drugging] was truly one of the most pathetic [in the classic senses of the word] shows I've ever seen. There were maybe 10 or 11 people in the little basement folk club. He put in one brief, sorta sloppy set, came back, but after a few songs just got up and said (let's call him) Jeff (the bass player) is gonna play a few tunes and I'll be back in a few.]

About fifteen minutes later he sort of stumbled back on stage but he was so loaded he couldn't play...

I was very sad when he died (in his early 40's I think) -- but I was happy he'd been clean and sober for a few years, at least.

He was a great talent -- but he just wasn't made for this world.

With re Krause, I have to say I much prefer her country/bluegrass stuff over her glossy pop stuff (which is pretty yawn-land for me). It's hard for me to imagine this collab, even though I've heard Plant's more or less solo classic rock stuff (where he borrowed the name of Joe Liggin's Honeydrippers for a tour -- but graciously paid props to Liggins [when he realized he was still alive ;) ] during the tour.

• Members

Interesting collab, but not really my style of listening. It sounded pretty good for the genre.

Odd couple indeed.... Stairway to Heaven was one of my favorites when I was a kid; still I enjoy hearing it to this day whenever it comes on. Robert Plant's solo material was pretty good too.

Alison Krause had a tune called something like "When You Say Nothing At All" that was awesome enough to get me to seek the artist's name... never knew much of anything more from her.

I always thought that Robert Plant could do a great duet with one of the Wilson sisters, or a trio with both, from Heart. "Dreamboat Annie" or a number of their tunes had a lot of the same vibe as what Led Zeppelin put out.

Nice to see him still performing.:thu:

• Members

I always thought that Robert Plant could do a great duet with one of the Wilson sisters, or a trio with both, from Heart. "Dreamboat Annie" or a number of their tunes had a lot of the same vibe as what Led Zeppelin put out.

So much so that they used to be a Zeppelin cover band. They regularly did "Rock and Roll" live.

• Members

I heard the whole album a few weeks ago, and I was very impressed.

Nice liquidy T Bone Burnett production.

Plant is singing in a soft but strong voice, with good emotional range - no attempt to recreate his falsetto of yore. I hear computer tuning on his voice in a few cases.

Allison Krauss' singing is stunning as usual, and actually a great complement to Plant's.

• Members

Plant has long been a huge fan of American and early American music, and could probably hold his own with an American musicologist in discussing some of the early greats, particularly early blues, country, and folk artists.

In fact, him and Jimmy Page initially bonded over discussing this, finding that they both loved this kind of music, which has been showcased throughout the years on much of their acoustic-oriented music.

He also loves stuff on his side of the puddle, including early British folk up through obviously Pentangle and Fairport Convention.

Archived