How long will YOUR iPod last? Check out the iPod Death Clock

HCarlH

• Members

Crud, I have to enter my serial number? I had to practically use a microscope to read that when I registered it with Apple.
:o:D

Lemme guess Phil, you're trying to read it off the back of the iPod case, right?

:lol: I can save your eyes - Go to SETTINGS > ABOUT and it will display it in nice (relatively) large text right on the screen.

Scott

The Verdict

447 days 11 hours 57 minutes 36 seconds

Model: (2nd Generation) iPod Shuffle, 1 GB (Silver)

Manufactured: December, 2006

The Outlook

Not bad. You can expect at least another year of use. You may now breath a sigh of relief knowing that your little friend still has a long life ahead of it.

• Members

Ever wonder if this is some sort of scam to get serial numbers?

Anyway, the screen my 20 Gig turns black when it warms up. My old Iomega Cliq player is twice the age and is holding up well. It's just big ... and heavy ... and the little discs only hold 40 meg.

• Members

I have a Zen. It's still going strong, is several years old, has a user-replaceable battery, and had endured travel hell.

My wife's iPod (bought some time after mine) skips at random intervals, even when it's not moving.

My daughter's iPod lost its mind and she had to reload everything.

I think iPods are very cool (especially because now they don't put a gap in between songs if there isn't supposed to be one, but I would not exactly consider them rugged. When Apple comes out with an iPod that uses only solid-state RAM instead of a hard drive, can play back WMA files, and has 40-60GB capacity, I'm in!!

Well, I found the S/N, and entered it, and according to the site, my first gen 4GB Nano has 200 + days left to live...

But for some reason, I couldn't enter the amount of use properly - the lower two options wouldn't work, so that's probably not the correct life expectancy since I had to enter in an amount that is higher than the actual use.

• Members

I can't think of ANY other device with a hard disk drive that takes the kind of beating that a IPod does.

But, you can cheat (IPod) death. If your IPod breaks, don't give up on it if you have a bit of tech ability.

I have had 3 IPods in the family that have run into issues, and they're all still running (though a friend has one of them now).

*** disclaimer *** Although I've done all the things mentioned here, I won't take any responsibility if bad things happen.

Drive problems are common. If your IPod freezes during play, or starts skipping to a new song halfway through the song that's playing, it's likely a disk issue.

You can access IPod diagnostics by doing a reset while pressing a key sequence (look it up on the web). There's a utility built in that will do a disk scan and mark offline bad sectors. That doesn't always work, though, but plugging it into a PC so it mounts as a disk, then doing a CHKDSK will often clean up what's left. Don't do this if you're IPod is formatted for a Mac (might work, never have tried it).

On my 4G IPod, the little ribbon cable that plugs the drive into the control board has worked its way loose causing the same effects as above.

The power/dock connector takes a bit of a beating, and I've had one fail at the solder connection to the board. I had one crap out on me, and the symptoms were that it would not mount for ITunes or wouldn't charge with a charger. But, it would charge connected by Firewire. Weird... But if I jiggled the docking connector, I could make it work.

Not having the surface mount tools or eye sight to fix it myself, I took it it an IPod repair place that exchanged the control card for $59.

Though looking at the new IPods, I'm tempted to not keep them going sometimes. But then I realize I'm too much of a cheapskate.

js

• Members

My 2nd Gen iPod 20GB is supposedly Doomed. Hmm, been running fine since I got it in 2002. They say I need a new battery

My 1st gen ipod Photo (2005) 333 days left. They say I need a new battery

My ipod Touch (9/2007) supposedly has 748 days left, but they recommend I look into a new battery already.

Hmm, see a trend here? :rolleyes:

Archived