OT...This is a scam, right?

Fendercaster

• Members

I received this email today, I did not reply to it. Look suspicious to you? I would think that PayPal or Bank of America would proof read their messages before they were sent. I guess I'll have to go buy something on Ebay to see if my PayPal account is still working! :D

Look like a scam to you?

scam.jpg

• Members

Look at the "From" line. It was supposedly sent to you from oregoncommunitycu.org, not BOA or PayPal.

This isn't just a scam, it's a scam from someone so lazy that they didn't even bother spoofing the email headers.
:freak:

Exactly.

There's also a feature on your email program called "view long headers". When you're suspect, take a look at that and see the path where the email originated.

I get these scams almost daily. Don't feel specially selected to be screwed or anything. :D

• Members

Don't feel bad. I wasted some time forwarding this today.

Subject: Fw: PLEEEEEEEEASE REEEEEAD! IT WAS ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA TODay.

Which is the Bill Gates is going to give us all money for sending email out SCAM ! Now I'm expecting to get back a few angry letters from some of my contacts. Sorry I didn't see this one. I guess that it has been out a few years.

Dan

• Members

I never, EVER forward anything that says, "please forward." As a matter of GP. Not as a matter of security -- I won't even open an email with an attachment unless I know it's coming and who sent it. (Email accounts and contact lists can be and are highjacked, seemingly innocent files that appear to be multimedia files can exploit vulnerabilities in programs like WMP, Winamp, Quicktime and iTunes).

And, while I always have my machines set up to show the full names of files, many folks use Windows' idiotic default of hiding extensions -- so a file that looks like myInnocent.doc at first glance is actually myInnocent.doc.exe and it's going to burrow far into your system and replicate copies of itself, changing its name as it goes and putting multiple copies of itself throughout your registry.

I'm also sick to death of people who put "Please read" on ANYTHING... Who the hell do they think they are? :D

• Members

Wells Fargo has been suspending my account daily for about three years. You'd think I'd get the message!

Serioulsy, they can be confusing when they come from BOA or Paypal or somewhere where you do have an account. I'll sometimes go log into said account and make sure there are no messages/activities there...

• Members

Based on recommendations from reputable sources, I make it a policy never to access any of my financial sites (bank, credit union, PayPal, etc.) through any link in an e-mail. Sites are just way too easy to spoof (eBay's got a whole tutorial on it that was pretty informative). If you're concerned by the content of one of these messages, you should contact the institution either by going to their site through a known link, or by phone.

Archived