OT: Helloween Attck of the Pre-Teen Ho's

alphajerk

• Members

http://www.newsweek.com/id/62474?GT1=10450

im ALL for adults dressing like little tramps halloween, its the best part of the year IMO going out. seems like its the night women love to wear the corset/fishnets with {censored} me boots out on the town [and little else], but trickling so far down?

usually this is something im just like "who cares?" but it is a bit odd its reaching such a young age group. luckily i have two boys so it isnt an issue for me, but you know your local child molestor has got to love giving out candy this year in the neighborhood.

what say you, especially those with little girls? do you buy costumes like this for them?

• Members

I'm so glad I'm not a parent.

This is my answer: I don't know.

When I clicked on the Newsweek link, I was actually thinking it was going to be worse than that. Maybe it was my expectations or whatever, but most of the costumes actually seemed sort of mild. But I do see your point. I just wish kids could be kids.

• Members

man, its not about not-iraq.... like i said, i have two boys so its not of major concern to me, i was wondering of anyone here who had girls and what they thought as dads.

adult chicks have become lately pretty much slut outfits, which i love.... its just pre-pubscent girls need to dress this way? if i hada girl i would be like WTF?

• Moderators

OK...

I've got a 10 year old daughter. She's very pretty. When she rides in the front seat with me, guys will pull up along side my car to check her out then realize... oops. It's a kid. She's not dressed provocatively. Jeans and a shirt. A kid.

So Alpha... I hear what you're saying completely. My daughter has friends who do dress like an 18 year old and it's creepy. Now put that same kid in a French maids outfit and it's not right. At 10 and 11 now-a-days, they're starting to look much older believe it or not. But they're still 10.

The thing is, the reality is, guys look. It's without intent or malice. It's natural. But it's not in the child's best interest to have guys checking her out in a sexual way. She's going to be 11 for God's sake.

My kids going as a marionette with an old fashion dress, up to the neck, etc. I'm not paranoid, I just see what's happening around me.

It's creepy.

• Members

i guess it really isnt different than them dressing up as wonder woman like when i was a kid... i mean that would be pretty hot if my wife dressed up as wonder woman now.

maybe its a byproduct of feminism... even all the way up to the adult level. we teach females to be strong and independant now [i assume, most people i know with girls do], but maybe halloween getting to dress up in costume, fantasy, they like to revert back to being that sex object which was their basic human level "job" when people actually HAD to procreate in order to survive. it wasnt about career, as the article mentions why cant they dress up as a doctor... because maybe that seems too "real life".

my kid is going as a skeleton this year. talk about naked, its going to take forever to get all that skin and muscle off him with the filet knife ;)

so yeah lee, what are 10yo girls interested in going as this year? you hear any popular themes? i talked to a little girl today [5 maybe?] and she was going as princess fiona [shrek], i asked which version. we went to my sons schools fall festival and i didnt see any girls wearing any costumes like talked about in the article. all seemed normal kids fare... maybe the story is just fluff from one costume manufacturer trying out the market?

• CMS Author

Those sexy costumes are expensive, too. Halloween has moved way up the "pricey holiday" list for retail merchants. What ever happened to cutting eye holes in an old bed sheet and going out as a ghose? Or covering a football helmet with aluminum foil and going as a spaceman?

And where's creativity? I saw a post on our local FreeCycle board this morning: "Wanted - your old pumkin carving tools." Don't people have knives in their kitchen any more? Yeah, I'll bet it's pretty difficult to carve a good jack'o'lantern with a food processor.

But along that line, I was browsing the $1,000 espresso makers in Willians-Sonoma last week and saw a Dremel pumpkin carving kit with a (battery powered, I hope) motorized rotary hand tool with an assortment of rasps and stick-on templates. It was about $30.

Sheesh! Adults these days!

• Members

A few years ago, I heard a woman tell her 9-year old niece the little girl looked 'sexy!' in her new outfit.

I LOVE adult trampiness and free love and all that. But it's out of bounds to call a 9-yo girl 'sexy'. It shows appalling poor judgment in an effort to be trendy.

, but trickling so far down?

usually this is something im just like "who cares?" but it is a bit odd its reaching such a young age group. luckily i have two boys so it isnt an issue for me, but you know your local child molestor has got to love giving out candy this year in the neighborhood.

what say you, especially those with little girls? do you buy costumes like this for them?

• Members

I have a 6 year old daughter and another on the way in two months, a girl. I really thought for little kids Halloween was supposed to be about scary costumes not looking like a whore. Monsters, or cartoon characters whatever is fine. My daughters will never wear anything sexy like that for Halloween.

• Members

It's silly to slobber over adult women who look like whores and then expect that young girls will not want to emulate them. And it's a pretty screwed up double standard to want every woman to look like a slut so long as she's not your daughter. Every woman is someone's daughter.

I'm sick of the stupid "slut wear" trend whether it's an adult or a kid. It'd be nice if people showed some class in public and saved the slut behavior for the bedroom. It has nothing to do with sexual repression, just a respect for the privacy and intimacy of sex, not to mention the point being brought up in this thread: that it sends a bad message to young kids who don't need to be thinking along those lines yet. It's not like if the adults are walking around looking like sluts the little kids aren't going to see it.

• Members

lee, there shouldnt be kids in bars on halloween night... and at least it shows a trend towards a less sexually repressed society. and btw lee, i can say {censored} {censored} {censored} bitch whore damn all i like, but my kid better not say it and he knows better, at least until he is old enough to not get in trouble at school with it. so my wife can dress all slutty if she wants, but if i had a girl, she would have to be of age.

• Members

I don't think the "slut wear" trend shows a trend toward a less sexually repressed society, I think it's the opposite in fact. It mostly shows people using sexuality as a weapon or a bargaining tool, and that sucks. I also think a lot of girls are not comfortable with looking that way but feel like they should because it's "the trend" and/or because guys won't like them if they don't. That is the opposite of less repressive. Girls should not feel pressured to have sex - they mature sexually slower than boys do, and it isn't good for them to be sending mixed messages to boys at pubescent or pre-pubescent age. They need to be able to have innocent dates and feel safe doing that.

And it's not as if women only look like that when they go to bars. There are women who look like that all over the streets, and little kids see that and see all the attention they get so they want to look like that. Not cool. Same if you don't want your kid to cuss but then you cuss in front of him. "Do as I say, not as I do" doesn't go over very well with kids, that I've ever seen.

• Members

not at all lee. he knows there is a proper age for certain things and understands that. its called parenting without babying. dressing slutty on halloween isnt using sex as a weapon or bargaining tool... maybe they like to dress up like that. and sure if they want to do it all the time im all for it. it can be used as a tease more so than being a "victim".

• Members

Dressing like a slut on Halloween is no big deal (for grown women), I'm talking about the trend that's going on now where a lot of women and teenage girls look like that all the time. Being a tease is stupid if you don't intend to follow through with it.

Lack of sexual repression to me means you enjoy sex, you don't feel guilt or shame over it and you're comfortable with your body and your partner's - IN THE BEDROOM (or the kitchen... or the floor in the hallway... or the back porch... :D). It doesn't mean you want to be having sex in the streets in front of everybody or that you're available for everyone in the world to have sex with. That would just be destroying the mystery and the intimacy of it. And if that's not what your intention is, then don't dress and act as if it is. :idk: I swear people act as if it would kill them to show a little class and have a little dignity.

• Members

actually, the article seemed like hype for at least where i live... most girls were little princesses or something of that nature. we didnt go out for adult swim this year.

some people do like the exhibitionism...

i see girls go out to CLUBS dressed to the 9's like that but its usually show specific and rarely do i see it otherwise, although the one thing i love about hot summer days are the outfits the girls wear, and they arent "slutty"...

the only ones i see from time to time in the streets dressed like sluts are well, hookers. so im not sure what trend is happening... but im sheltered here ;)

• Members

Interesting thread.

I noticed a few (approx) 5-6th grade girls dressed somewhat provocatively (i.e. tight fitting, low cut costumes). I don't think most parents around here would allow their daughters to dress sexy. Some would, or wouldn't think enough of it to stop them.

We have to face it though, this is the image that is in the media, and this is what they see as the ideal. The popular girls (Lindsay, Britney, Paris, etc) are obsessed with appearance and their sexuality. It shouldn't be a surprise that young girls would emulate this.

It's disturbing to me because I have a 4 year old daughter, and I see the images from TV and magazines that await her when she gets to that age group. I'm not a repressive, sheltering father, but I'm not sure how to prepare her for this stuff.

• Moderators

OK... Halloween night. A neighborhood girl 12 years old rings the bell. Trick or traeeeet!!!! She's dressed as a sexy pirate. You know the costume. She's 12, a little chunky, and frankly, kinda chesty. And there she is. But she's wearing a sweat jacket covering up because she's embarrassed that's she's hanging out. Poor thing. My wife says, "Look at you! Don't cover up! You at you! You're... SEXY!!!"

My wife said this. Right away I think of this thread. My wife is no pedophile of course. She's trying to help the overweight kid's self esteem. She really thought it important that that little girl should show her prematurely large basooms to the world.

Yeah, I say let's hold off on the sexy {censored} for a few years please.

• Members

OK...

I've got a 10 year old daughter. She's very pretty. When she rides in the front seat with me, guys will pull up along side my car to check her out then realize... oops. It's a kid. She's not dressed provocatively. Jeans and a shirt. A kid.

So Alpha... I hear what you're saying completely. My daughter has friends who
do
dress like an 18 year old and it's creepy. Now put that same kid in a French maids outfit and it's not right. At 10 and 11 now-a-days, they're starting to look much older believe it or not. But they're still 10.

The thing is, the
reality is
, guys look. It's without intent or malice. It's natural. But it's not in the child's best interest to have guys checking her out in a sexual way. She's going to be 11 for God's sake.

My kids going as a marionette with an old fashion dress, up to the neck, etc. I'm not paranoid, I just see what's happening around me.

It's creepy.

I teach at a music academy and we have students from ages 3-60 coming in and out. I'm not even a full decade out of high school, but I'm even shocked by some of what these 13-18 year old gals are wearing. What's worse is when other teachers (and mostly female) say things to each other like

FT: "Oh, that *insert name here* is such a doll! I'd kill to have looked like that at her age... don't you agree she's attractive *insert me or other male teacher's name here*?"

Me or other MT: :freak: She's 16.

FT: Well, yes, but don't you think she's still pretty?

Me or other MT: She's 16. That's really all I have to say about that. *goes outside to smoke a cigarette and grab a cup of coffee*

{censored}in' c'mon! Yes... younger women can be incredibly attractive, but anytime a cute gal gives me a come hither look and I'm not in a bar or a nice restaurant I automatically get wary. My sister is 18 and a lot of her friends are :eek::love: but it still freaks me out. I've chatted up too many gals out and about who turn out to be in high school after a couple of lines of conversation but look like they could be in college. Say no to artificially manipulated hormones!!! :cop:

Archived