FYI - iPhone MUST HAVE Hardware USB 2.0

• Members

FYI - iPhone MUST HAVE Hardware USB 2.0.

That's right, if you don't have a computer with built-in USB 2.0 you cannot activate your iPhone. Long story short, bought one for $600, raised sand, said I wanted to return it, got $300 credit, took opportunity to add memory and extra HD to G4, plugged in iPhone,......and nada.Checked out web for problems/solutions, need USB 2.0, throw in USB 2.0 PCI card, plug in iPhone,...........nada, call Apple, said, "iPhone, USB", tech said, "you need 2.0", I said, "I know, I put a 2.0 card in a G4", he said, "That won't work"....... (making a long story shorter)...... "if you have a friend who has a computer with 2.0 on the motherboard you can activate the phone on their machine". I said,@#$%^&)(*#$&()_!@!!. He said, "Or you can go to an Apple store and they can activate it for you,.......... or if you know someone with a PC with 2.0, or you can upgrade by purchasing a new Mac" I said,@#$&^&)&)_*)&^&%%^&*#$%!!! My iPhone is in the box. He actually told me to buy a new Mac a couple of times, said it was my best option. That's all he could do. I can't really say any more.

Sly :cool:

• CMS Author

FYI - iPhone MUST HAVE Hardware USB 2.0.

That's right, if you don't have a computer with
built-in
USB 2.0 you cannot activate your iPhone.

Huh???? How does the phone know whether the USB interface chip is on the motherboard or on a card? It's possible that the phone's USB interface is incompatible with certain USB chips, but I think you were fed a hay salad with horse manure dressing.

We saw this issue with early USB audio interfaces where it was a good idea to check what kind of chip you had before choosing an interface (or vice versa - buy a computer with a chip that was compatible with an interface that you have or are thinking of buying). When I bought my first laptop computer with USB, I was looking at an Edirol interface to bring audio in (never did get that one, though) and it specified three compatible USB chips. That was one of the things I looked at when shopping for a computer.

Call again and you'll get a different support person who won't give you this load of nonsense.

• Members
Huh???? How does the phone know whether the USB interface chip is on the motherboard or on a card?

I guess we'll all have to buy a new Mac to find out the answer to that one. :freak:

It's possible that the phone's USB interface is incompatible with certain USB chips,

Possibly, but not all PC mobo's have the same USB chipsets.

but I think you were fed a hay salad with horse manure dressing.

Indeed :lol:

• Members

I find buying a new Mac is the solution to most problems.

:D

Seriously, though, this is a one time hassle, right?

I can see why you'd be ticked off about buyng the add in USB2 card only to find out you need a mobo-connected USB2 (perhaps for hardware ID collection?)

But it looks like they gave you a few options/workarounds.

I don't want to get the rep of an iPhone apologist (OK, the notion does amuse me since I've been accused of being anti-Apple once or twice) but... well... I've had new stuff where I had to jump a hurdle or two to get it going.

I say make peace with your new phone, go over to a pal or relative's house with a PC or Mac with a mobo USB2 (which is probably most made in the last 3 or 4 years, I'm thinking) or back to the Apple store (if it's handy) and start enjoying that neat little phone.

;)

PS... I applaud your ability to convey the whole story in such a tight (if crowded) paragraph. If I'd been telling the story it would probably go on for 3000 words and have 17 parenthtical statements (some of them doubly nested)... And, with my powers of persuasion -- I'd probably make myself furious all over again telling the story. :D

Archived