OT: Anyone recommend a good vacuum cleaner?

Magpel

• Members

I'm serious. I've had so many break down over the years, including the current one. I need a new one. I will consult some consumer sites, but if some of you have particularly strong feelings about a vacuum--positive or negative--please record them here.

I'd like to spend less than 200...

• Members

I'm serious. I've had so many break down over the years, including the current one.

I just read something a few days ago in an ad for some company. Might have been Oreck. Where the guy said the average person goes through 15 (don't recall number but it was a lot) or so in their lifetime.

I don't like those that spew crap out into the air. Perhaps a hepa filter one would help with that.

• Members

I bought a classic Hoover upright back around 20 years ago and its still going strong. I think I replaced the belt a few times. I was going to replace the brush a while back but the vacuum cleaner repair guy said it didn't need it. I think I walked out of there with my vacuum and a $3 or $4 replacement belt just so he'd get something out of the deal.

I'd had my share of different vacuums over the years and the only one that was any good before this one was an old (really old) Hoover upright that someone gave me.

(We had a huge, hulking Kirby when I was a kid -- my dad got tired of going through crappy Sears vacuums he got with his Sears employee discount before he finally bailed his dead end "management track" gig there. And it was OK -- it had a little motor to pull it sluggishly forward when you angled the handle and -- get this it had its own headlight! -- but it cost something like $300 in late 50s dollars -- a new car was about $2k -$2.5k then -- but our twice a month housekeeper refused to use it and started bringing her own cannister.)

Anyhow, my Hoover has picked up several tons of cat fur over the two decades or so of its life with me and continues going strong.

That said, I have NO idea if Hoovers are still any good.

A couple years ago, my mom bought me a very large, noisy Dust Devil mini-vac as a housewarming gift. It's heavy, about two feet long with a two foot hose that makes it very awkward to use -- but what seems like a 60 foot cable that makes it an even bigger PITA to get out than the Hoover.

But that's not really necessary since it barely has enough power to pick up a cotton ball. It is the worst piece of crap I can imagine (I think all the energy goes into making all that gawdawful noise) .

I hope my mom is not reading this.

• Members

I'm serious. I've had so many break down over the years, including the current one. I need a new one. I will consult some consumer sites, but if some of you have particularly strong feelings about a vacuum--positive or negative--please record them here.

I'd like to spend less than 200...

Who cares...they all suck. :)

• Members

I'm going through this decision and carpeted stairs is my big issue. I also want something with a thin hose attachment that can be used for cleaning between the consol and bucket seats in my car.

You probably need two vacs.

A small one for the stairs and car and some sort of upright for everything else.

• Members

I just read something a few days ago in an ad for some company. Might have been Oreck. Where the guy said the average person goes through 15 (don't recall number but it was a lot) or so in their lifetime.

I don't like those that spew crap out into the air. Perhaps a hepa filter one would help with that.

I've been using the same Kirby generation 3 since 1991. :cool:

Still have all the attatchments, too. Definitely got my money's worth out of it.

• Members

I can't praise the Dyson enough, though it costs a little less than $400. I've never seen a vacuum cleaner do a better job of picking up fur from a rug and it also has a wand with attachments. I know the Orecks are good, but they're pretty pricey.

:thu:

Dyson stuff is really good. They just do not lose suction, even when the canister is getting full. I'd take a Dyson any day over an Oreck. I even want the little Dyson re-chargeable hand vac for those little cleanup jobs like when I get chip crumbs on the sofa.

• Members

Mieles are expensive, especially with the exchange rate for Euros, but they're really convenient--not too hard to move around, and they really suck.

The wife and I bought a Miele when we moved into our small condo last year. As Craig already mentioned, they are not cheap, but they work extremely well and have a ton o' attachments to boot. The Miele is also small and easy to store, which is nice for me since I have *very* limited space.

I think Hoover's are great, they have a wonderful suction to noise ratio and I particularly enjoy the headlight. You know, for those time when you inexplicabley wake up in the middle of the night and feel compelled to vacum something!!

Disclaimer:

I actually stole the post from MusicPlayer's SSS thread : Hoover vacuum cleaners...do they suck?

Archived