RIP Porter Wagoner, too

Fendercaster

• Members

I worked with Porter Wagoner on 3 or 4 songs a few years ago and have a really funny story to share since you guy's brought it up.

I knew I was going to be working with him and was at a party the night before talking too another Engineer friend about my lucky good fortune. He shared a story with me about Porter that apparently the guy was pretty well hung !!!

I said, "man I'll only look him in the eye," as I do this gig.

Well to make a long story short, Porter came in to hear the mixes. While sitting on a stool with a ball cap on and a boyish twinkle in his eye at 77 yrs old listening to my work, he said to me, "man I LOve it, but if you push the last word or two of each line up a little ... women will hear that and say, "man if that guy can sing like that, he must be hung like a horse." I about fell over laughing soooooooooooooooo hard.

I'm going to his funeral tomorrow .... I'll keep you posted if anybody is interested.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Years ago, a friend told me a story about two supposedly well-hung singers. One was Faron Young. I think the other was Porter. Something about an argument and one of them or both of them whupping it out at a bar to prove his was bigger or something like that.

• Members

Years ago, a friend told me a story about two supposedly well-hung singers. One was Faron Young. I think the other was Porter. Something about an argument and one of them or both of them whupping it out at a bar to prove his was bigger or something like that.

I called the friend who originally told me this story years ago. Update...

The story was told to my friend by the wife of a famous country singer. She is dead now, as is the singer. In fact, she was married to two stars. Anyway...

It was not Faron Young. It was some movie star and Porter Wagoner. They were at a bar and somehow an argument ensued about size. The movie star whupped his member out on the table. Porter starts unraveling his and Porter's buddy said "Now, Porter... just enough to win!"

• Members

Hey Dave,

WOW I almost went to the Museum Tue, but since they close at 5PM I still haven't made it. However I did see Marty a little while ago. PM me your info and I'll send you a little treat. Very touching service today.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

It's a shame Huey Lewis and Chris Isaak weren't there. :eek:

• Members

Hey Dave,

WOW I almost went to the Museum Tue, but since they close at 5PM I still haven't made it. However I did see Marty a little while ago. PM me your info and I'll send you a little treat. Very touching service today.

Russ

Nashville

Check out Beverly Keel's column in today's Tennessean; that shindig was 5:30-7:30. If you haven't seen it, by the way, go see the Sparkle and Twang exhibit before it closes on the 16th of November. It's way cool....

And thanks for the treats - very lovely.

• Members

I discovered RFDTV on satellite a while ago and along with it reruns of the Porter Wagner show. These are from I guess around the midsixties. I'd not heard of Porter before this and I am fascinated. There is Porter along with a young Dolly Parton and Patsy Kline and an assortment of other country folk doing their thing entertaining the good solid folks of 1960's midamerica. Anyway, I figured Porter, behind all his piety singing the weekly hymm and so forth, for a real {censored} hound, and I guess I was right. But so what. He could sing and looked great in those sequined suits. God rest him.

Archived