How do I get my custom avatar to 9.8 kB??

rasputin1963

• Members

You need a photo processing program of some kind. I used Corel Paint Shop Pro. Resize the image first to about 100x100. Then do a "Save As". Click "options". Slide the comprssion "fader" to the right to lower the overall quality until the file size works. There should be similar functions in other processing programs. It's -196 degrees here, I'm moving back to Minnesota. :D

• Members

You need a photo processing program of some kind. I used Corel Paint Shop Pro. Resize the image first to about 100x100. Then do a "Save As". Click "options". Slide the comprssion "fader" to the right to lower the overall quality until the file size works. There should be similar functions in other processing programs. It's -196 degrees here, I'm moving back to Minnesota.
:D

Another PSP user here. I was afraid that when Corel bought it, it might go downhill. I think I have the first version that was nameplated under Corel and it's actually pretty good. I can't tell you how the last couple are.

I know Photoshop is the "gold standard" of photoeditors but I'm not much of a fan of Adobe (and now that they've bought a couple of my key tools, Dreamweaver and Flash, I'm reluctant to upgrade).

I've been mostly quite happy with my copy of PaintShop Pro 10 (I think I go back to version 6). It doesn't have everything Photoshop has, of course, but it has a lot of similar features... certainly more than I've been able to explore (sometimes to my detriment -- more than a few times I've stumbled on the "right" way to do things that just flipped me out because they saved so much work over what I had been doing. Ignorance is its own punishment.)

• Members

I know Photoshop is the "gold standard" of photoeditors but I'm not much of a fan of Adobe (and now that they've bought a couple of my key tools, Dreamweaver and Flash, I'm reluctant to upgrade).

Slightly OT, Adobe software is my bread-and-butter of my entire career. With the exception of email and occasional word processing and spreadsheet work, everything I do is based on Creative Suite's tools. Everything. Magazine ads, web sites, print brochure layout, product packaging design, trade show displays... everything.

• Members

For future reference, those of you wth Photoshop will note a "save for web" menu item. It's super convenient for creating small avatars, internet banners and so on. Find the compromise between quality and file size, and voila!

And the compression works surprisingly well, and you have control over it. Nice.

Archived