Seagate 2.5" (laptop) 60 and 80 GB SATA HD failures spreading

blue2blue

• Members

Data recovery firm Retrodata are advising that owners of such drives (commonly found in MacBooks and Mini's but other non-Apple machines as well) should immediately back up critical data and consider replacement...

This
critical
manufacturing flaw affects 2.5" Seagate SATA 60 and 80 GB models made in China 2 models and one firmware.

This alert is currently confined to Seagate SATA 2.5 Notebook drives.

These are commonly used in MacBooks and Mini's but I'm sure other's will be affected.

"In System Profiler, look under Serial-ATA for the Revision, which shows the firmware of your hard drive.

If yours is indeed Revision 7.01 you should perhaps consider backing up your data immediately.

The faulty drives are all Seagate 2.5" drives that are manufactured in China, with a Firmware revision of 7.01. They are also all SATA interface. No other drives seem (at this stage) to be affected.

We are receiving quantities of these drives for recovery, and nearly all display the same cause of failure. The read/write heads appear to fail mechanically, quickly causing deep scratches to the platter surface, and rendering the drives practically unrecoverable.

Should you have one of these drives in your system, we believe the problem is serious enough to warrant copying all your data off the drive and replacing it with an alternative drive, or a retail-version Seagate drive.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/159499-important-seagate-2-5-notebook-drive-failures.html

• Members

Well, this isn't the first time something like this has happened. WD had bad batch of Caviars from what I recall, back in the '90s.*

* I guess it's the Alzheimer's talkin' but I feel increasingly compelled to add "-- by crackie!" to phrases like back in the '90s.

• Members

This just goes to show that everyone company is subject to failure. Still, the one company that I've had the most issues with and will never trust again is Maxtor. I can't tell you how many of their drives I've wittnessed die over the past three years.... And we're talking drives only 1-3 years old....

• Members

Damn I switched to Seagate from WD because the WD USB drive I had died after a year (actually I discovered the drive was fine and I'm still using it IDE style in another computer) but the WD only had a year warranty.

I switched to the Seagate USB drive because it has a 5 yr warranty.

• Members

The google Hard Drive study is here

I may have already posted this, but, it seems that as prices fall and hard drives are looked upon as disposable, they are being manufactured to fulfill this expectation.

A friend of mine recently had the drive in her Macbook take a dump, and the Apple store replaced it no questions. It was a Seagate 60 GB SATA. She just got it back tonight...

Archived