Which of these headphones?

LiveMusic

• Members

I used to have a couple pair of those Yamaha's, loved 'em. Clarity, good bass, and they lasted for about 3 years or so.

Great for listening, doing edits, and setting up panning in a mix etc. The ones I had were open back, so no good for vocal recording or anything in front of a mic.

• Members

Great for listening, doing edits, and setting up panning in a mix etc. The ones I had were open back, so no good for vocal recording or anything in front of a mic.

Why do you say that? What does that have to do with it? Oh, that your ears are not isolated?

Thanks for replying.

• Members

Check out the studio headphones on the Carvin website(or catalog). Best you're gonna get for $50. Worth 2 or 3 times that. I have a pair and they're amazing. Closed-back; clear, open, and natural-sounding. They deal direct so the prices are 1/2 to 1/3 what you would pay in a music store. Not sure if your niece has to choose from a specific list or something, but I thought this might be good info anyway.

Why do you say that? What does that have to do with it? Oh, that your ears are not isolated?

Thanks for replying.

Spill. Leakage. Bleed.

Call it whatever you want, but they're all the same thing - the sound of the cue mix from the headphones bleeding into the microphones. You'll most frequently encounter this when using open back, or semi-open back headphones while tracking vocals (due to the head's / headphone proximity to the microphone), but it's not uncommon to have issues with it while tracking acoustic guitars, etc.- especially if the performer likes to have a lot of level in their cans (headphones) or wants the click track turned up loud, but plays softly and requires a lot of mic preamp level to get good levels (which amplifies the bleed even further...).

Closed back headphones are less susceptible to this, and are generally the way to go for tracking purposes.

• Members

I picked up a pair of the Sennheiser Hd201 last week and they're good for my purpose which is tracking vocals. I haven't listened to the other ones. A good friend of mine owns a musicshop and he told me this is what I neaded. (He knows me for years and never failed to give me exactly what my ears need).

• Members

Which of these would you think would be better?

AKG

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-AKG-K301XTRA.html

* Type: Semi-open, dynamic headphones, circumaural

* Efficiency: 102 db/V

* Frequency Range: 18 Hz to 26 kHz

* Rated Impedance: 55 Ohms

* THD:

* Maximum Input Power: 200 mW

* Cable: 99.99% oxygen-free single cable, approx. 10 ft. (3 m)

* Connector: Convertible jack plug (1/8-inch minijack to 1/4-inch)

* Adapter: Stereo mini to 1/4-inch jack

* Net Weight (without cable): 8.6 oz. (245 g)

CARVIN

https://www.carvin20.com/products/single.php?product=H40M

- Freq. Resp. 20-22kHz

- Imp: 64ohm

• Members

The most important "spec" is how well they sound. A headphone might have a closed back and provide total isolation, but if they sound like ass, they're unusable.

With speaker, mics, and headphones, I would do whatever I could to listen to them before I buy them. If they're a) uncomfortable, b) don't sound good in your opinion, or c) are tremendously hyped in the bass, don't get them.

The Carvin might be fine, but AKG has a very long tradition of making great transducers, so my reaction is based on trusting one brand more than I do another.

• Members

Thanks for helping. I ended up buying some by Audio Technica because someone recommended them highly and they were only $13 more ($63) from www.roaddogonline.com. Every other seller priced them at $70. The specs to look better but he had personal experience with them. They'll probably work fine.

Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs Precision Studiophones Specifications:

* Type: Close-back dynamic

* Driver diameter: 1.57" (40 mm)

* Magnet: Neodymium

* Voice coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)

* Frequency response: 5 - 28,000 Hz

* Maximum input power: 1,600 mw at 1 khz

* Sensitivity: 100 dB

* Impedance: 60 ohms

* Weight: 8.8 oz (250 g) without cable

* Cable: 11 (3.4 m) Coiled, OFC litz wire, lef-side exit

* Connector: 1/4" (6.3 mm) phone plug

Archived