Is there really a market for a Space Echo 150?

techristian

• Members

Because a local music store is asking $400 for one.

A digital delay can produce anything a space echo can.....right?

Dan

Uh, I don't know about that. A lot of people pull on the tape to create "warbles", and I've heard that this thing, if it's the one I'm thinking of, can replicate that. But it's a cool, distinctive sort of sound, and most digital delays cannot do this at all. And of course, most digital delays don't sound a damn thing like a Space Echo anyway. This is replicating it, and I've heard good things about it (again, if it's the thing I'm thinking of that replicates a Space Echo).

• Moderators

What's cool about tape delays like the Space Echo is the pitch variations from the lack of stable speed. The delay slightly bends against the sustained original signal and the heavens open up. The old Roland's also had a very crude but great sounding (in context) spring reverb to further soften the goodness. Add some tape head distortion and loss of highs inherent in the format... yum.

I love Space Echos and owned an original. I miss it...

• Members

Anything digital in this regard can offer an approximation of the analog equivalent, but no... there are particular idiosyncrasies and unpredictabilities to analog gear (analog circuitry, the audible effects of tape itself and so on) that for true aficionados, will never fully be replicated.

Space Echos and Echoplexes are sought out now as collectors items, so the price goes up as time goes by and functional models become more rare.

• Members

If it's the aforementioned Roland RE-20, it's been getting generally good reviews in which the digital approximations are quite similar to the Space Echo. But there are so many random variables that I doubt it can approximate it fully. But if it's close enough and someone needs that stability for gigs and touring, it might be something worth looking into.

• Members

Guido of Sounfonts.it makes a very nice Space Echo emu that is really cheap -- heck of a lot cheaper than the UAD model.

I've used one of the original 201s--awesome sound for sure, but Guido's 20 dollar imitation serves the purpose for me. This is the same guy who makes the excellent Mr. Ray freeware Rhodes emu, widely acknowledged to be one the very best elec. piano models available.

• Members

My partner and I had the Roland 501 Chorus Echo in our big rehearsal studio on Long Island back in the mid eighties. My partner was tired of changing tapes as the studio was running 12-15 hours a day. I came in one day and he said he traded it in on what was a top of the line Dig delay, I almost killed him on the spot. I still remind him of that all the time, Paul.

Archived