PAL to NTSC

Super 8

• Members

I want to pick up a DVD for my daughter, but it's only available in the UK. It's Region 0, which I understand means it should play on any player. But it is in PAL format, which could be a problem.

I'm also in the process of buying a DVD recorder which will likely be a Panasonic DMR-EZ17. I cannot find any info on their site regarding whether or not it will play DVD's from any region (just curious for future ref.) or whether or not it will do a PAL to NTSC conversion.

If it doesn't, I suppose the solution could be to buy the disk and then go about finding a way to make the conversion in software on a computer and then burning a new DVD. I have no experience at this.

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?:blah::freak:

I could use some advice. It's a really cute programme (since it's from the UK) on DVD that I think my daughter would just love. I'd hate for something as stupid as a format issue to keep her from seeing it.

Thanks

• Members

dunno, my DVD player plays both PAL and NTSC. its a {censored}ing do it all player. SACD, DVDa, DVDv, MP3, blah blah blah blah.

although you can with some work conform the video and then reburn it. takes some special applications, but if you have to do what you have to do kinda thing.

• Members

Super8, I found a manual pdf for that model. It has this caution.

Discs that Cannot be Played

2.6/5.2 GB DVD-RAM, 12 cm (5?)

3.95/4.7 GB DVD-R for Authoring

DVD-R recorded in DVD Video Recording format

DVD-R (DVD-Video format), DVD-R DL, DVD-RW

(DVD-Video format), +R, +R DL recorded on another

unit and not finalized (? 66)

PAL discs

DVD-Video with a region number other than

• Members

Supe, you may try these two sites:

http://www.geek24.com/hacks/221

and this one:

http://www.dvdhacks.co.uk

Depending on the manufacturer and model of your DVD player, there may be a 'secret code' that unlocks the player and makes it 'region-free'. Some of the instructions are pretty weird ('press 'power on' from remote, press 555, then press 'eject'', things like that), but there are many models that can be modified. Many models are sold both in Europe and the US and have the capabilities of playing both formats, but need to be 'set up' for that particular format.

There's also a software that does this, but it would require copying the files from the DVD and editing the 'IFO' files to reflect NTSC as opposed to PAL.

Let me know if any of these work for you - if not, PM me and maybe you can shoot me the DVD and I can see if I can reprocess and re-burn it onto a different DVD it to make it compatible to your player.

-Tim from Jersey, doo-wah.

• Members

yeah, thats the other nice thing about my player is it doesnt have region limitations either. i dont know what the hell that is about anyway.

It's supposed to help solve bootlegging I guess. :rolleyes:

If I thought I could find it on Bittorrent, I'd just download it and mail the creator thirty bucks.

• Members

It's supposed to help solve bootlegging I guess.
:rolleyes:
If I thought I could find it on Bittorrent, I'd just download it and mail the creator thirty bucks.

doesnt seem to be working in that respect really... and yeah, sounds like they would make more from that transaction than a legitimate sale.

Archived