Grammy Nominations out today and I...

pbognar

• Members

Herbie Hancock got a nod for the Joni Letters
:thu:

Yeah, I saw that, and well-deserved it was.

But yeah, I have officially removed myself from giving a crap about any type of popular music. Not in a bad, curmudgeonly, "everything sucks" way, but just in the "I'm not finding anything here to identify with so I'm going to rely on the fact that there's been a ton of other music done over the past 400 years that I enjoy" way.

Some new artist could come along that I really like, and I'm totally receptive to that happening. I just doubt that they'll be getting honors from the RIAA.

• Members

Yeah, I saw that, and well-deserved it was.

But yeah, I have officially removed myself from giving a crap about any type of popular music. Not in a bad, curmudgeonly, "everything sucks" way, but just in the "I'm not finding anything here to identify with so I'm going to rely on the fact that there's been a ton of other music done over the past 400 years that I enjoy" way.

Some new artist could come along that I really like, and I'm totally receptive to that happening. I just doubt that they'll be getting honors from the RIAA.

re: Herbie Hancock - I only discovered this when I was at Target last night. You'd never hear this on any radio station...

Jeff - I agree with you. Occasionally someone I respect will have a personal recommendation, and I'll check it out.

• Members

re: Herbie Hancock - I only discovered this when I was at Target last night. You'd never hear this on any radio station...

Jeff - I agree with you. Occasionally someone I respect will have a personal recommendation, and I'll check it out.

Yes, yes and yes.

Herbie deserves the accolades for this particular work. A lot of times established artists get a nod as a kind of unofficial "lifetime achievement" award.

What's happening in commercial pop is so overdone that I can't get past the machinery and in to whatever depth the music may have. I like pop music, but I hear a lot more pop music that is appealing from sources other than major media. I can't listen to commercial radio for more than one song - if I happen to like what's playing when I turn it on. As soon as the announcer starts...:freak:

• Members

I dunno...

As I've stated here before:

I like a lot of today's pop music.

Things change.

Styles and tastes move on.

It would be a boring world

if that weren't the case....

Amy Winehouse : Cool ... I like her album and Rehab is a great tune..

She's also a "bad girl" which is always appealing....

Kanye West:I like his stuff... Graduation is a good album..

Particularly like the latest single "Stronger".

Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace is a good album.

Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners (with Kaki King) is a cool track.

Justin Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveSounds : Like it....

Especially "What Goes Around..." a very clever song...

I like just about anything Timbaland does...

He's involved with the new Duran Duran album although most of the tracks

were produced by his right hand man Danja.

I even like Rihannas Umbrella .... there's a great version of it

by The Plain White T's on Youtube:

[YOUTUBE]PA21NzdTB_Y[/YOUTUBE]

Speaking of which: their tune "Hey There Delilah" is a classic...

Fallout Boy

Panic at The Disco

The Killers

What's not to like with all this new stuff?

It's just pop music, reflecting popular culture.

Same as it ever was IMHO.

• Members
And the Record of the Year....is:

Umbrella "...topped the charts all over the world, remaining at number-one in the United States for seven weeks and in the United Kingdom for ten weeks..."

(From the Wikipedia article on the tune.)

So quite a few people out there in the "real world" actually liked the tune

enough to buy it....

The kind of success most of us dream about.....

It's a clever song.

Written by Jay-Z and some other guys.

Check out the article and how the tune "...was actually offered to Mary J. Blige and Britney Spears, before being picked up by Rihanna...."

These guys know their market.

• Members

So quite a few people out there in the "real world" actually liked the tune

enough to buy it....

The kind of success most of us dream about.....

It's a clever song.

Written by Jay-Z and some other guys.

Honestly, the first time I heard it I found it more interesting than the rest of the stuff on the radio. The second time I was still intrigued with it. By the third time I was getting bored and frustrated with it.

They have something interesting going on with the song, but I swear, they squeezed the life out of it. The singer sounds like a robot. There's no sonic depth to it, what you hear the first time is pretty much all there is. But I knew when I heard it, with a hook like that, it was going to end up getting an award for something.

• Members
How could they ignore Tay???? :lol::evil::lol::evil:

Bill... see my post "Any tips on how to use the YouTube button?"

Where Gus and Boosh were very helpful in explaining what to do.

Basically you only use the letter/number combination

after the = sign in the URL.

For the Youtube vid you wanted to show it's:EwTZ2xpQwpA

So you would type EwTZ2xpQwpA and then select it

and then click the red Youtube button....

And it would show this:

[YOUTUBE]EwTZ2xpQwpA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I dunno, I'm 40 and play in a band that tends to draw a younger (21-35) crowd so it's important to us to keep up with the latest music. I'm not saying that I prefer a lot of it (although there are some cool new artists/tunes out there), but it is a lot more fun than banging through the same old tired "Classic Rawk/Blooze" tunes. Plus, who am I to argue with the hot 25 year old chickies grinding all over each other???

• Members

I dunno, I'm 40 and play in a band that tends to draw a younger (21-35) crowd so it's important to us to keep up with the latest music. I'm not saying that I prefer a lot of it (although there are some cool new artists/tunes out there), but it is a lot more fun than banging through the same old tired "Classic Rawk/Blooze" tunes. Plus, who am I to argue with the hot 25 year old chickies grinding all over each other???

I was in the same type of band situation. We were playing R/B - Funk - Soul from the '70's onward, but a couple of the guys in the band were up on what the younger crowd wanted and we injected those tunes into our setlist. It IS definitely more gratifying to play for a receptive audience - but I need someone to filter through heaps of crap to find the decent stuff - I just don't have the time or the stomach for it.

• Members
officially have no idea what is going on in the world of popular music.

Yeah it's a different crop than in years past, but like fretwizz mentiones, a lot of the pop votees make sense... Winehouse, Timberlake, The Killers, Kanye etc. Nothing out of line here if you think about it from an ipod wearin', multi-format listening, tune downloading, 17-26 year old's persective.

Alsol, you kinda knew Kanye would be the star of this years noms, what with previous snubs at various awards, this year doing his best album to date, and the personal tragedy he's recently gone thru... Voters gave it up for him. I'm really not a fan, but I have no problem with the nominations, it actually is a very good album.

Rihanna-Umbrella, well that song is a song that you need to hate, want to hate, then try very very hard to hate, after all, were legit musicians right?! True, but dammit, that hook grabs you by the balls and pulls you in!! Not only that, you'll absolutely never ever ever in 100 years get it out of you head.

• Moderators

OK, New artist nominations:

but Feist released her
second
album this year. Is that really a
new
artist?

Feist!

Well... she's Canadian so she's new to us Americans! Anyway, I gotta say I dig her arrangements. It's good to hear fun orchestral pop. The songs are almost really good too. I'll give her a 10 for direction and execution. A 7 for content. I want her to get even better. Sort of a Laura Nyro for the new century.

• Moderators

Best Traditional Folk Album

(Vocal or Instrumental.)

* Dirt Farmer

Levon Helm

[Dirt Farmer Music/Vanguard Records]

:thu: This is a really cool album. Though it's equal part rock in the way only Levon can rock, not just folk. This might be a "mature" album but it's not an old guy album. Levon still has his thing, better than ever. And his drumming does rock, even on folk stuff... like another Band he was in.

• Moderators

Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group

(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

* Pilgrimage

Michael Brecker

[Heads Up International]

His last album before passing. This is such a cool and challenging album. It doesn't sound like music from a very sick man, but rather music from someone inspired. Very inspired.

• Moderators

Best Rock Song

(A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock & Metal songs. For Song Eligibility Guidelines see Category #3. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.)

* Icky Thump

Jack White, songwriter (The White Stripes)

Track from: Icky Thump

[Third Man/Warner Bros.; Publisher: Peppermint Stripe Music]

The guy does understand ROCK. And he manages to coax those cool harmonic overtones out of his little old amp riffige like Page did once.

• Moderators

Album Of The Year

(Award to the Artist(s) and to the Album Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s)/Mixer(s) & Mastering Engineer(s), if other than the artist.)

* Back To Black

Amy Winehouse

Mark Ronson & Salaamremi, producers

Girlfriend does have her issues, and I hate to think what I first heard when listening to the song Back To Black was real pain, it might've been. Best pop album I've heard in a long time. Real pain translates I guess. Ouch.

• Members

His last album before passing. This is such a cool and challenging album. It doesn't sound like music from a very sick man, but rather music from someone inspired.
Very
inspired.

A tremendous recording, even without knowing what Brecker was going through at the time. That there was a STATEMENT.

Archived