And she's buying a stairway to h....

Lee Knight

• Moderators

When I turned 16 or so, it was no longer cool to dig Zep. At least not in my circle. We were getting jazz, Yes, Deep Purple and soon... The Ramones, Pistols, Stiv, Costello, Tonio K, etc.

So Zeppelin was for stoners, not cool punks like us. Especially Stairway. Sheesh! But I still remember putting on phones when I was 12 and getting lost up the stairway to heaven. But I let that go in exchange for my adolescent identity.

And of course it was worth it. Being cool and on the edge of the new is... um... cool and edgy.

Cut to this afternoon. I'm in Borders being a dad with my 10 year old daughter. Listening to CDs at the listening stations. She's checking Fall Out Boy and I put in the new Led Zeppelin compilation CD. Wow. I've had no problem loving Zeppelin since growing out of my Cooler Than You period but for some reason haven't got around to buying anything since Houses of the Holy when it was new.

So I did what 48 year old music lovers do; I bought the new compilation. My kid says, "Don't they sound all (makes screaming sound)?" I smile. We get in the car and I go right to Stairway to see if I can sell her on the ZEP. Crank it. As we drive home I'm brought back to those times with headphones, listening at 12 years of age. The round Rhodes part and the temporary bass role it plays, the pitchy but wonderful recorders, the CRACK of Bonham as he kicks in, the godlike sweet swell of each note in Pages solo with its glorious tape delay into a plate...

...and we pull into the driveway and Plant closes in his beautiful solemn tone. And I swear there was a tear in my eye. And my kid looked at me and said, "Dad. That was awesome!"

And it was.

• Members

Yeah ... cool story...

I remember exactly where and when I 1st heard Stairway to Heaven.

In my GFs mums kitchen on the radio... I was 17 at the time and I was

simply gobsmacked by the beauty, majesty and sheer awesomeness of the

song.

I still play it every now and then... always a crowd pleaser at parties...

and a great way to show people you can play.....

"So... you play guitar yeah? Can you play Stairway to Heaven?"

Have you seen this Wikipedia article on the song?

• Members
:thu: My 15 year old daughter opts out of the fad music and goes straight to the oldies stations where they play lots of Led Zep., Pink Floyd, Queen, and many other greats. It's a joy to listen to the old tunes as if they were new.

• Members

We used to slow dance to Stairway at the Boy's club on friday nights back when I was a kid. It was nice and long, which was a good thing. I always felt a little weird during the fast part of the song to be slow dancing when it seemed I should be jumping around instead, but I was 11 years old, I had my arms wrapped around a girl, and she felt soooooo goooood.

That's my earliest recollections of the song.

One other thing, Lee. When was Punk ever cool? That's why I got into it, because I was rejected by the "cool kids" and it felt like good music to be rejected to.

• Moderators

One other thing, Lee. When was Punk ever cool? That's why I got into it, because I was rejected by the "cool kids" and it felt like good music to be rejected to.

:) Oh... I never said punk was cool. I said we were cool punks. :) In our minds at least. Just reacting against the status quo.

• Members

:thu:
My 15 year old daughter opts out of the fad music and goes straight to the oldies stations where they play lots of Led Zep., Pink Floyd, Queen, and many other greats. It's a joy to listen to the old tunes as if they were new.

My 14 year old daughter is all about Taking Back Sunday and won't even give oldies the time of the day. I do make her suffer when we go somewhere in the same vehicle, but she is determined to hate my music no matter how much she likes it.

Archived