Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings

deanmass

• Members

So...I bought the Amy Winehouse cd a while back...and I love it..the SOUND on it is amazing...

Now, a few days ago, I am listening to NPR, and this band is on...I find out they are the backing band on a bunch of the Winehouse tracks....I listen to them...

Wow...

I mean....really blown away by the sound and vibe...Old school R and B/Soul

Anyway, if you like this stuff, check it out..I don't think they are very 'known' yet, but I think they will be.

• Members

"Though she was at first skeptical of the 21 year-old Jewish kid egging her on from the other side of the glass, a common love and respect for Soul music soon created a trust and friendship between Jones and Mann which would lead them both to a fruitful career."

Here's the link to the full bio:

http://www.daptonerecords.com/sharonjonesandthedapkings.html

What's most impressive is that kind of respect for living artists, no matter their age or race. Here in the states, ironically, we revere those on the other side of the pond who, let's face it, blatantly rip off black American artists, many of whom are still with us. Not to cast aspersions, because I have every single Beatles album and most of the Stones,' all the way down the line to Sting (who used only black artists for at least one of his tours). I guess I'm just saying it's weird how some things get more attention than others in the public realm. OK. End of rant.

Archived