OT: Hi, I'm a Mex ...

Gus Lozada

• Members

:D

I have a lot of Latino friends and almost all of them speak some degree of Spanish (usually highly informal). But their
kids
, OTOH...
el generacion
pocho

It is a truism that many first generation immigrants do not WANT their kids to even learn Spanish. Shame, really. They don't want their kids to experience the hardships that THEY did... in school, etc.

"Pocho" sounds ghastly to Mexican (true Mexican native) ears... They cringe when they hear it... for example, when a Mexican TV show interviews, say, a Texas/California pop group... Like the French, I think plenty of Mexicans feel that, if you can't speak Spanish properly, then you shouldn't even try... just speak in English!

The movie SELENA very poignantly points up the dilemma some Chicanos find themselves in... Selena's Dad laments, "We're not accepted here nor there..."

Mexican Spanish, properly spoken, is the most beautiful thing to behold... And then Castilian Spanish is creem-in-your-jeans sexy to hear...

I personally think that Carlos Mencia is hilarious... but then again, it's one of those unwritten comedic deals where, only if you personally belong to a group can you make fun of it... :lol:

• Members

All the Hispanics I know (and believe me, there are PLENTY in New Mexico!) have great senses of humor and have no problem poking fun at the stereotypes of themselves. Then again, I try to hang out only with people who have senses of humor, regardless of ethnicity :)

I think I'm pretty safe in saying that the Hispanics I know would find that clip hilarious, while a lot of the Caucasians I know would think it would offend Hispanics.

Truth is, we should all be equal under the law -- but we're not ALL THE SAME as people. And I like it that way. The interactions I have with people of other races and backgrounds are subtly different than the ones I have with Caucasians.

AFAIC, each of the different races holds a particular piece of the puzzle of what being human is all about. When we all join together and enjoy our similarities AND our differences, that's when the puzzle gets solved.

Just remember: If it wasn't for Hispanics, there would be no chicken mole. 'Nuff said.

• Members

The movie
SELENA
very poignantly points up the dilemma some Chicanos find themselves in... Selena's Dad laments, "We're not accepted here nor there..."

That phenomena is experienced not only by Chicanos but by every immigrant group. As an American-born Filipino who feels even less welcome in the Philippines (outside of family and friends) than in the USA, I should know...

Archived