Stockhausen died

indigo_dave

• Members

He had a major influence on many, I had the vinyl "Ceylon/Bird of Passage", bought back in 1976 that sadly is lost who knows where....a very interesting work, very underrated because too much "Crossover" and considered "easy" by the "experts", but extremely fresh and open-minded. It had a very big impact on me, that was the period I was a lot into Tangerine Dream and the quality of the integration of acoustic and electronic of this recording opened my mind a lot....in fact it has probably contributed to my style as I have always kept a central place for acoustic sounds in my electronic trips.

At that time I was also listening to another record very often that I felt as a perfect complement to K.S. and T.D., something purely acoustic, based in a totally different tradition, a one of a kind and an absolute masterpiece: Art Ensemble of Chicago's "People in Sorrow" that for me remains one of the greatest "ambient" recordings of all times, despite no one has probably put such a label on it.

I talk about it because those two recordings are tied together in my memory, they are a bit like the day and the night in a deep unknown forest.... well, a 15 year old boy is able to find links that maybe a more structured adult mind doesn't even look for.

R.I.P. Karlheinz, and thank you.

Archived