Is it true: song titles can't be copyrighted?

rasputin1963

• Members

I once heard that, when it comes to copyrighting your songs, melodies, harmonies and lyrics can be copyrighted--- but not song titles?

Henry Mancini and Deep Blue Something both wrote a song called "Breakfast At Tiffany's".

God knows how many songs have been called, "I Love You".

Does this mean I could write a song today and call it "Moon River" if I wanted to??

• Members

I once heard that, when it comes to copyrighting your songs, melodies, harmonies and lyrics can be copyrighted--- but not song titles?

Henry Mancini and Deep Blue Something both wrote a song called "Breakfast At Tiffany's".

God knows how many songs have been called, "I Love You".

Does this mean I could write a song today and call it "Moon River" if I wanted to??

Yep. It's true. Write ten songs called "Moon River", if you feel like it.

• Members

Sure does. :)

The only actionable problem would be if you tried to convince people that your "Moon River" was the other, possibly better-known "Moon River", in some way to mislead them into buying it.

But in terms of the title itself, knock yourself out. Call your song "Satisfaction", or "A Day In the Life", or "Hound Dog", or "Thriller", or whatever you want.

By the way, the example that just came to my mind was that there are at least three songs named "Stupid Girl" (the Stones, Neil Young and Garbage) that are all completely different songs.

• Members

What about "The Power of Love" - of which entirely different songs with that title have been released by Huey Lewis & The News, Luther Vandross, Celine Dion and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Didn't TLC release an entire album that had songs which had the same titles as other songs (i.e. "Ain't To Proud to Beg")?

• Members

But in terms of the title itself, knock yourself out. Call your song "Satisfaction", or "A Day In the Life", or "Hound Dog", or "Thriller", or whatever you want.

....so we've established that one can do that.

But do any of you think that it's in bad form? Disrespectful? Tasteless? Ignorant?

Or is "all fair in love and war" ? All icons must fall?

Eagles / The Cars - Victim Of Love.

Yes you can do it. No, I don't have a problem with it when someone does it, but I'd try to avoid knowingly doing it myself.

But do any of you think that it's in bad form? Disrespectful? Tasteless? Ignorant?

I guess it would depend on the individual case. If someone tried doing a Stones style song (with a different bit similar type of melody and arrangement) and named it "Satisfaction", in most cases, I'd consider that to be all of the above... unless it was an intentional parody or something.

But just using the different name, with completely different everything else (as in the example I listed at the start of the post) doesn't strike me as ignorant or out of bounds. Well, if the second writer(s) were unaware of the first song, I guess you could call that ignorance... but how many songs have there been? How many with "I Love You" (or a variation thereof) in the title? You can't know them all, and some phrases are just too universal to put out of bounds just because they were used in the course of someone else's conversation / book / song... Just my opinion. YMMV. :)

Well... at this very moment I'm in sort of that...

My band has this song, called "dejate amar".

There's a Texmex band with a new hit, named exactly the same.

And then, there's this other guy with a single... Dejate Amar.

I don't actually care. We're not the Tex Mex or that other dude. Ours is "WoM - Dejate Amar". period. No sweat.

• Moderators

I was putting out albums under the band name "Telling Stories" long before that Tracey Chapman person decided to use it for a song/album title. So far, her attorney hasn't called me. ;)

Makes for some interesting Google searches, though I'm not sure if I've sold a CD because of it.

I am very sure that our album "Greyhound" has benefited from some other band's recent success with the song title "Coming Undone" - it's our most downloaded song by far, our single biggest moneymaking cut, and I can see from our website stats that at least half the people who stumble onto it do so by searching for the other band's cut by that title.

Terry D.

• Members

Yes. The title in English is> Let me Love you (or something like... "
-you-
allow
-me and/or others-
to love you")

"Let Yourself Love" ?

ie., "Let Yourself Fall In Love (With Me)" or "Let Yourself Fall In Love (Again)" ? One would have to listen to the lyric, as it unfolded, to discover exactly what the speaker meant....

Slightly OT: [by the way, if you've noticed that the Spanish word

Indeed... using "du" (german) or "tu" (spanish) to talk to someone with an authority degree and not being exactly your friend may sound as disrespectful.

Usted = Your Mercy. That is so correct, sir.

And then, you american cats use "you" for everything but still use the person's last name to make the difference.

• Members

I will never forget my first semester spanish class where a student was reading aloud and pronounced Mr." Pen~a" ( no I don't know how to get the tilde on top!!) as simply Mr.Pena and the instructor corrected him by saying " you just called him MR. PENIS!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Archived