Zep reunion tomorrow

scud133

• Members

Yeah, everyone is kinda HOPING that there's a proper tour in the works. But until I see the ridiculously overpriced tix being announced for sale, I'm not holding my breath.

BTW: my friends and I had put down deposits at Ticketron (or whatever it was then) for the Zep tour that was supposed to happen in the US in 1981. If I do get a chance to see them, it will be the redeeming moment for my disappointment from 27 years ago. Wow.

• Members

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071211/ap_en_mu/led_zeppelin_13

By CHRIS LEHOURITES, Associated Press Writer

2 hours, 14 minutes ago

LONDON - After that performance, Led Zeppelin really must go on tour.

The reunited rock 'n' roll legends were superb Monday in their first full concert in nearly three decades, mixing in classics like "Stairway to Heaven" and "Black Dog" with the thumping "Kashmir" and the hard-rocking "Dazed and Confused."

The band's three surviving members

• Members

That review has me jonesing to see a show.

FWIW- One of my top ten concert experiences involved Zep at MSG in 1970.

I had 13th row center seats.

By the end of the show I was being crushed up against the front of the stage by a surging crowd. I even got to shake Jimmy's hand between songs.

Based on the clips Ive seen from last night its seems they really nailed it.

Good for them.

Their legacy is intact.

The industry needs 'em more than ever.

Rock and Roooolll

• Members

FWIW- One of my top ten concert experiences involved Zep at MSG in 1970.

I had 13th row center seats.

Rock and Roooolll

Man you went to a ZEP concert before I was born,.......

And I had lunch with you man,...and dinner,....and a museumvisit

People must have thought I was taking my old father out for a day ;)

Booshy

• Members

I don't see why it's such a big deal... Page/Plant toured about years ago, and my old band even got to play the side stage for the show when they came through Houston. At the time, no one was going bonkers over them like they are now. Does the addition of John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham really make that much of a difference, or is it all a matter of perception that is causing all the fuss?

• Members

I don't see why it's such a big deal... Page/Plant toured about years ago, and my old band even got to play the side stage for the show when they came through Houston. At the time, no one was going bonkers over them like they are now. Does the addition of John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham really make that much of a difference, or is it all a matter of perception that is causing all the fuss?

The Page/Plant tour was a big deal here, selling out arenas and getting quite a buzz on MTV. They also released a CD and a video from that first Page/Plant tour.

• Members

The Page/Plant tour was a big deal here, selling out arenas and getting quite a buzz on MTV. They also released a CD and a video from that first Page/Plant tour.

Maybe I just didn't notice the commotion because I got in to the show for "free"? I do recall that they did a bunch of Zeppelin stuff, and that they were very good.

:thu:

We also got to play the side stage for the Van Halen show that summer; it was the year they had Gary Cheronne(sp?) touring with them. We got to watch them do their sound-check; it was very cool. We didn't get to meet the rest of the band, but Gary was walking around the merch tables before the gates open and we got to chat a little. Here's me, Gary, and my old singer:

john_gary_max.jpg

Anyways... a few weeks later we did the Page/Plant show, and it was a totally different vibe; things were much tighter, and we weren't allowed to watch the soundcheck. They did put on a hell of a show, though. We did have access to the "semi-VIP" party tent, so that was pretty damn cool. Here's some photos:

http://www.johnpbarton.com/oldstuff/kurfu/kur_ag_980930.htm

• Members

I don't see why it's such a big deal...

Calling it "Led Zeppelin" makes it a big deal.

The addition of JPJ makes it a big deal.

People's nostalgia for recapturing times past, and the magic they associated with a rare collection of individuals makes it a big deal.

It's a big deal.

• Members

Calling it "Led Zeppelin" makes it a big deal.

The addition of JPJ makes it a big deal.

I think you've hit the nail on the head - simply using the name "Led Zeppelin" completely changes people's perceptions, and thus it becomes a big deal. As for JPJ... I doubt that most people really care who is playing the bass. (flame away, I'm a bass player, so nyah!)

:p

I'm guessing that Page & Plant could have found another drummer and bass-player, and then used the name "Led Zeppelin" and it still would have caused a big ole fuss.

Archived