Questions about .ram files

LiveMusic

• Members

Could a .ram file (1 hr, 48 min) be somehow converted into a DVD?

I have Media Player Classic, recommended on this forum as an alternative to Real Player. I was 20 minutes into this .ram file and moved the slider back a bit to rewind it so I could review that part. The player crashed. Tried again, same thing. I assume this shouldn't happen. Anyone else have this happen? I need to find a fix for that. Winxp.

• Members

The Real-player codecs are proprietary and are designed to prevent streaming content from being saved to disk. That doesn't mean it never happens, and you
might
be able to find a stream ripper, but I've never run across one.

there are bunches and bunches of em

here are a few

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=stream%20ripper&tag=srch

here's a comparison of some (not an exhaustive list by any stretch and I can't vouch for the list, just some examples)

http://all-streaming-media.com/record-video-stream/all-streaming-video-recording-software.htm

Total Recorder

Web Stream Recorder

also come to immedite mind

the thing about most streamrippers these days is they intercept the stream post-decode (they are capturing the decoder's output). A common technique is to set up a VDX (virtual device driver) "output device" -- basically they create a "virtual software" sound/video card and the digital output gets piped to that, that data gets stored and then piped (if desired) to acual ooutput hardware

some of the earlier rippers got in trouble with "anti-circumvention" law b/c they worked on streams at the handshake (explicitly circumventing the copyprotection). Now, modern streamer make is possible to circumvent copy-protection, but they also have signifigant legitimate use which is where injunctions fail

• Members

Well, you learn something new every day.... Kewl. & Thanx!

WHAT?!? you mean you have a life and can't stay on top of every single piece of software that comes out?!?!

what's wrong with you ?!?

"Look at me, I'm Philbo, I have family and friends and a career...sometimes I even go outside" :mad:

Archived