HEY Phil & Craig...no Worlds Fastest Drummer at NAMM ......what do I do next?

techristian

• Members

I received an official looking email from a NAMM representative today. It stated that there will be NO WFD at the Winter Anaheim NAMM show.

That is the Worlds Fastest Drummer competition which I have attended 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years. It threw me off a bit because I already have plane and hotel reservations for my wife and 2 daughters. (one daughter a singer the other an actress)

This is the first time in 5 years that the WFD wasn't at NAMM.

Anyway if there is any kind of jam or get together scheduled for HC SSS people I would love the invitation!

I'm sure that there will be plenty to do even without WFD. I'm still not even sure if I will even get a NAMM pass. It has been a weird year. Sometimes these sharp curves can be an opportunity. We shall see.

Dan

• Members

Does world's fastest drummer mean that that guy is IN time for rehearsals and GIGs?

I mean,... like ,......the bassplayer and singer aren't there yet but the drummer is,..because he's the world's fastest drummer?

I can't believe that,....

Anyway if there is any kind of jam or get together scheduled for HC SSS people I would love the invitation!

I've never seen a jam session post-NAMM for the SSS folks, but most of us usually get together at least one night for dinner. I'm sure there will be a thread about it in the not too distant future.

Sorry to hear about the WFD thing. I hadn't heard that. :(

This thread reminds me... I need to hit Craig up for a letter of assignment for my press badge... :idea:

• CMS Author

Great! One less boring noisemaker at the show. I never really understood why they had that contest. Maybe they'll replace it with the World's Fastest Bass Player contest.

Meanwhile, back in the jungle:

A scientific expedition disembarks from its plane at the final outpost of civilization in the deepest Amazon rain forest. They immediately notice the ceaseless thrumming of native drums. As they venture further into the bush, the drums never stop, day or night, for weeks.

The lead scientist asks one of the natives about this, and the native's only reply is "Drums good. Drums never stop. Very BAD if drums stop."

The drumming continues, night and day, until one night, six weeks into the trip, when the jungle is suddenly silent. Immediately the natives run screaming from their huts, covering their ears. The scientists grab one boy and demand "What is it? The drums have stopped!"

The terror-stricken youth replies "Yes! Drums stop! VERY BAD!" The scientists ask "Why? Why? What will happen?" Wild-eyed, the boy responds, "

. . . BASS SOLO!!!"

• Members

Great! One less boring noisemaker at the show. I never really understood why they had that contest.

In recent years they moved it outside of the main showroom floor to the foyer near the building entrance. The finals usually take place in "The Hang" also away from the showroom floor.

Dan

• Members

Meanwhile, back in the jungle:

A scientific expedition disembarks from its plane at the final outpost of civilization in the deepest Amazon rain forest. They immediately notice the ceaseless thrumming of native drums. As they venture further into the bush, the drums never stop, day or night, for weeks.

The lead scientist asks one of the natives about this, and the native's only reply is "Drums good. Drums never stop. Very BAD if drums stop."

The drumming continues, night and day, until one night, six weeks into the trip, when the jungle is suddenly silent. Immediately the natives run screaming from their huts, covering their ears. The scientists grab one boy and demand "What is it? The drums have stopped!"

The terror-stricken youth replies "Yes! Drums stop! VERY BAD!" The scientists ask "Why? Why? What will happen?" Wild-eyed, the boy responds, "

. . . BASS SOLO!!!"

I love that joke.

• CMS Author

In recent years they moved it outside of the main showroom floor to the foyer near the building entrance. The finals usually take place in "The Hang" also away from the showroom floor.

Exactly. Every time I walked down the hall, someone was pounding on drums.

I seem to remember it back along one wall of Hall E at the Anaheim show, but at Austin, and maybe Nashville shows, it was out in the hall.

Still, what's the point? Just because you can play a fast roll doesn't mean you're a good drummer. Nor is a good drummer necessarily fast. I'm sure that if you were set on winning the contest, there's something you could practice doing all year and win. It probably wouldn't matter that you weren't even a drummer.

• Members

I've never seen a jam session post-NAMM for the SSS folks, but most of us usually get together at least one night for dinner.

I thought that there was a jamm session with a bunch of SSS members at you home a few years ago??

Still, what's the point? Just because you can play a fast roll doesn't mean you're a good drummer. Nor is a good drummer necessarily fast. I'm sure that if you were set on winning the contest, there's something you could practice doing all year and win. It probably wouldn't matter that you weren't even a drummer.

True being the fastest drummer won't make you the best...but the practice I have done for the WFD has enabled me to play some unbelievable things on the drums. The majority of WFD contestants are very much into heavy metal and they use these insane WFD rudiments to play "blast beats" and other fast double bass beats.

I personally want to introduce the public to another type of double bass playing. I'm more interested in double bass drums in fusion and funk. Quick little 4 stroke ruffs, and ACCENTS and ghost notes on double bass is what I'm striving for.

Dan

I thought that there was a jamm session with a bunch of SSS members at you home a few years ago??

I do that pretty much every year - it's been dubbed "Philphest" by my friends... but that's usually in the late summer or early fall - not after NAMM in January.

If you can join us at the next Philphest, we'd love to have you attend. :wave:

• Members

...Still, what's the point? Just because you can play a fast roll doesn't mean you're a good drummer...

The point, like so many competitions, was simply to be the best at one particular skill. No more and nobody claimed anything more.

But more importantly, the snare hit competition was specifically not rolls. It was individual solid hits. A roll was worth a disqualification. ;)

• CMS Author
The point, like so many competitions, was simply to be the best at one particular skill. No more and nobody claimed anything more.

Yeah, I guess. Kind of like a hot dog eating contest, I guess. There's more to winning one of those than just coming in hungry.

Archived