Having Trouble Finding Happiness In My Music

• Members

First off thanks for stepping in !

I started playing music two and a half years ago and everyday just seems to get harder and harder as I see what it's going to take to get out there.

I wanted to open up this thread for I'm sure there are some musicians in here that have gone the test of time and can remember back to a day when they felt lost in how they were going to be different.

What can be said for the test of time ? Well I don't know but I sure get frustraited lately at the thought that not going "all the way" might be reality.

I don't want to lay back and let the music drift away for I need to focus if I am going to get somewhere, but it seems that pushing it just doesnt seem to be the best thing to do.

I feel like I got writers block and every moment I'm not working towards something musical it drives me nuts. Then I grab an instrument, play it for 10 seconds untill I get so mad at the situation nothing worthwhile comes out and I'm back at square one... AHHHHHH !!!

Some one please give me some helpful advice before I drive myself insane.

• Members

You can't really force it, I don't think. It either happens or it doesn't. One fairly surefire way to deal with it is just walk away for a while. You kick in the 'grass is always greener' effect after you've been away for a while, and you get some perspective on why you were doing it to begin with (like how you figure out that the girl you just broke up with was really great after it's too late.) But your guitar will always take you back.

• Members

I think, in times like these, there is a frustrating inner war between what your soul (or your "id" or "inner child") would like to express, and what your Superego tells you you "should" be playing (ie., for money/career/fame/ambition/social respectability).

Or maybe you're genuinely changing your style from "what you've always done" to something altogether novel. Brian Eno says that every new song either strikes new ground, tweaking de facto emotions... or it's tweaking OLD sensibilities and hotspots of emotion... Ask yourself: "What's real and true for me, right here, right now?

Elton John says, when you reach this kind of inner block.... write a hymn.

Get up and dance to no music at all.... what rhythms are your body parts naturally making?

It's also useful, just to shatter the seriousness of the moment, to write an absurd, hilarious, angry/meanspirited (a lot of creativity is born of the "taboo" emotion of aggression.... New Agers point out that "a flower blooming is an aggressive act"; Leonard Bernstein once wrote a song called "I Hate Music", and he also wrote an entire musical describing his dysfunctional childhood and how much he hated his parents!), or a nonsensical or downright dirty song (think of a Rodney Carrington-style song, like "I've got a dozen roses, a twelve-inch dick and a pickup truck"). With the idea that "it just doesn't matter what I do".

In any case, your subconscious-- seeded with only a wisp of desire on your part--- is always gestating, just as with a fetus, what it is you're going to do next. When you sleep and dream at night, your subconscious is working on it, integrating it all.

• Members

This is on my mind a lot lately. I was fortunate enough to be visited by the spirit of Music early in my life. I understood that it had become part of my being and felt its' presence. Later on after some career changes and budget challanges I "had" to focus on a different path, as my inpiration and motivation also changed I didn't hear Musics' voice as loud anymore, but this would be for a short time I told myself. That was a long while ago...

I guess you can see where this is going and now I realize that Music had simply stopped communicating with me as much as I had stopped communicating with Music. I believe It felt that It was an unwelcome visitor and left me rather than to become some dormant vestige, possibly also to free me to deal with circumstances the way I "wanted" to.

Anyway - overly dramatic guy that I am - my point is that I let music go too long and my Beautiful Spirit has gone, maybe forever. It's different for everybody of course but this has been my experience. Maybe watching Spinal Tap for 48 hours straight might bring it back! :D

• Members

I think, in times like these, there is a frustrating inner war between what your soul (or your "id" or "inner child") would like to express, and what your Superego tells you you "should" be playing (ie., for money/career/fame/ambition/social respectability).

Or maybe you're genuinely changing your style from "what you've always done" to something altogether novel. Brian Eno says that every new song either strikes new ground, tweaking
de facto
emotions... or it's tweaking OLD sensibilities and hotspots of emotion... Ask yourself: "What's real and true for me, right here, right now?

Elton John says, when you reach this kind of inner block.... write a hymn.

Get up and dance to no music at all.... what rhythms are your body parts naturally making?

It's also useful, just to shatter the seriousness of the moment, to write an absurd, hilarious, angry/meanspirited (a lot of creativity is born of the "taboo" emotion of aggression.... New Agers point out that "a flower blooming is an aggressive act"; Leonard Bernstein once wrote a song called "I Hate Music", and he also wrote an entire musical describing his dysfunctional childhood and how much he hated his parents!), or a nonsensical or downright dirty song (think of a Rodney Carrington-style song, like "I've got a dozen roses, a twelve-inch dick and a pickup truck"). With the idea that "it just doesn't matter
what
I do".

In any case, your subconscious-- seeded with only a wisp of desire on your part--- is always gestating, just as with a fetus, what it is you're going to do next. When you sleep and dream at night, your subconscious is working on it, integrating it all.

Very perceptive post.

I find that the muses will not be tempted - - if you select or compose music you think OTHER PEOPLE will like, you are doomed to being stuck in a creative blind alley with your ego blocking the road out. You need to do stuff you love, because you love it and can feel the passion in it. And to hell with the consequences.

Because if you don't feel the passion, no one else will either, and the best you'll do is end up providing seduction muzak for travelling businessmen in Holiday Inn lounges or some similar soul-inspiring gig like that.

• Members

First thing that comes to mind... "Happiness only real when shared" -Into the Wild

Learning a new instrument can be frustrating but you must persevere and I would recommend you get yourself a teacher whether its to learn an instrument or write, you need some sort of system in place that will gauge where you are, where you going, how you`re doing...

Have fun in the process by just allowing yourself to make mistakes. Thats how you learn. Keep practicing with an attitude of gratitude. You should be thankful for the opportunity to be able to live, learn, play and share with others.

If you are "religious" or "spiritual", dedicate your practice to that higher deity. You`d be surprised how well that works!

• Members

that's why we are here!

everyday just seems to get harder and harder as I see what it's going to take to get out there.

There doesn't have to be an "out there" to get to!

that's about being a performer...nothing wrong with being a performer and being a performer and serving musician arent mutually exclusive

how do you feel about music that isn't being presented "out there"?

can remember back to a day when they felt lost in how they were going to be different.

One thing about the human experience much of it can be about being "the same" -- finding the common ground which takes us from island to community...that which allows us to communicate...to commune

Well I don't know but I sure get frustraited lately at the thought that not going "all the way" might be reality.

When you say "all the way" - what are your thoughts on what "all the way" is?

Some one please give me some helpful advice before I drive myself insane.

OK, join an ensemble...like, for instance, your local uni's Jazz or classical ensemble progam (you often dont need to be a trad student to do so)

It can be an ass kicking (in a very good way) and you can find yourself in a situation very much like mountaineering where things are laid bare "no time to fuss and lament! I'm working here!"

• Members

Hey

Well the advice is grand and actually made me feel a bit better ( might be a mood swing )

In regards to your comments The Good Way :

Mainly the thought of doing things other then music is hard for me. I started my working career as a Chef and realized as I went up the ladder that people don't want you to be unique. They want you to do the "spec" and doing it fast. I started to realize once seeing certain things in business that working for someone just isn't for me. So I began playing music at this time and found great joy in A) the music B) the thought that I might be able to support myself being creative. Going "All the way" to me means not working a job then coming home and playing music. If I can find a way to suppliment my living doing what brings me happiness thats making "it" to me.

I congradulate you ideas on heading to the local Uni, for I've thought of that and it brings a great smile to my face. But here's what I've gone and done...

I thought that if I could find a way to play music 24/7 that would be my best learning tool. So I headed out of my big city and went to the country. Right now I am in a small town with no more then a 1000 people and this has yeilded me a nice house for free and nothing to do but play music. I enjoy this at times but I also see that playing music only for yourself just isnt the same as for others.

So to curb my bordum I pick up new instruments thinking that this will help me in the long run for I won't always be in a position with free rent and I will need to try and earn that income through music.

I came onto the forum so I could try and track down some good people that I could try and communicate with to get me through this tough road of musician ship basically. I don't know how to apply creativity to making people enjoy themselves in a listening atmosphere, that's probably the biggest thing :idea:

But want to thank everyone for there comments

The idea of playing random emotion filled music is usually WHAT I do. But that won't get you from A to B in the music industry ( I think ). If you get a hit and people like it, then sure ya. But I think finding a balance between emotion and mind creates beautiful music. I get stuck sometimes when I just play emotionly for it's not quite the same learning experince perhaps as a focused effort. Trying to change who I am to be more mainstream isn't quite what I'm doing to create my frustration. It's more that I can't really apply my overly emotional music to the industry.

I have very powerful moving songs that I usually end up singing as loud as I can portraying this deep emotion, but I find that a hard pill to swallow at open mics and what not. Then I feel like then yes maybe I should be more mainstream and that's when some frustration comes I guess

• Members

Applying your creativity to making people enjoy themselves and applying it to becoming a good musician and making music are the 2 aspects of being a creative musical entertainer.

If you are good at both you will do real well for yourself.

As for your situation, you have to get organized.

Buy a small clock with a timer that beeps really loud. Something you can set for 1 to 60 minutes and is easy to turn on and off, not some little annoying watch or something. You want it to be really easy to use and portable, even a cooking timer.

Then get a piece of paper and write out the things you want to get good at or want to improve.

For example,(just random examples here):

Weaknesses then solutions

Poor time- Work with metronome 30 min

Poor singer-Sing scales 45 min

Small vocabulary-Read great authors or dictionary 1.5 hrs

Get stuck on same topics with lyrics-search for new topics 45 min

Bad guitar tone-Listen to Robben Ford's "talk to your daughter album over and over... 2-10hrs

Don't know enough chords-Work on Ted Green chord book 1.5 hrs

Need to write killer Jimmy Page like riffs so your music sounds cooler- Write cool riffs 1hr

etc etc etc.

So you work out the things you want to get good at and make a reasonable time for them, make the time shorter rather than longer. Focus HARD on them till the clock beeps. DO NOT let your attention go anywhere but on the the item you are working on. When the time is up take a 5 or 10 minute break and do the next one.

If you can get a routine like this going and do it for a couple weeks you will be so motivated you will look forward to practicing and you will get really creative too. Pick a couple 3 hour blocks or one 5 hour block a day, what ever you can muster, do the hard stuff in it and then spend the rest of your time a little looser and play around and experiment etc.

You will feel much better about the random playing around time when you have the hard work done and that will allow your creativity to flow better.

You sound very ambitious. I hope this approach helps.

• Members

The chosen few;

A caveat : Making a living as a performing musician can have some of the same pitfalls as a pro chef.

I've, at times, found myself in the complimentary situation to yours

Them : "Hey, you are a good amateur cook - why don't you go pro?"

I'm at a time in my life when I have latitude in what I do

Me : "{censored} that! I've filled in in pro kitchens and it's not the same thing as cooking for you guys."

What, intially, at the hobby level is way rewarding and feels natural, expressive, fun, etc has other concerns on the professional level where some of that creative freedom gets constrained by the need to produce "work-product" for those willing to pay us (for example...If I ever ever ever have to play a certain D canon again there's going to be blood running :D but if I strap the spurs back on, guess what tune I have to play at jobs :( ]

I don't mean to discourage or disuade you. I'm not saying "don't do it" we make of the world what we will. What I'm saying is that some of the concerns, constraints and disillusionment that exist in your current profession you may very well find in the other profession and can have more to do with the nature of profession than of the activity itself.

This line of thought cme up b/c you mentioned not feeling happy about your music in light of professional aspirations. What I've personally found in whatever profession (I've had a couple), the love of the subject matter is the foundation that allows me to deal with the rigors of the profession - the love allows me to put up with the {censored} that all professions have (and performing musicianship can have a lot). The love isn't dictated by the circumstance - it isn't conditional love.

I bring up this line of thought b/c you were talking about your frusration with your music in terms of your professional aspirations...remember to love the music unconditionally lest you relive "The Joy of Cooking" becoming "Slinging Hash"

One of my fav little essays was by Kurt Andersen about how the meaning of the word "amateur" has changed

http://www.studio360.org/yore/commentary070602.html

On a practical note - I think there's some good advice up there...structured practice (as well as 'free-form' time, but it sounds like you maybe gorged on free-form time and need to rebalance) and, esp at 2.5 years into it...play with other people!! it will not only help to keep you engaged, it can be like steroids for your craft (and performing musicianship is craft as well as art...not unlike the gastronomical arts)

• Members

Obviously, creating music is a complex, multi-layered endeavor.

Since you're currently frustrated, that suggests you're not getting what you expect out of your endeavor.

That suggests two main areas to look at.

One is obvious: what you're doing to fulfill your expectations and desires -- the practice of pursuing musical creation, as it were.

The other is more subtle and pervasive: what do you want out of music?

Obviously, the second is considerably more fundamental to the whole endeavor and to your expectations.

I say get yourself straight on what you want -- what you really want -- and then make a calm, realistic, rationale evaluation of whether or not your expectations are reasonable.

Happily, long before I ever was good enough to even have expectations, I had watched enough of my friends get chewed up and spit out by the music biz that I had no desire to ever put myself through that -- even on the long shot it could be made to happen. (There was stuff -- and lots of it -- like my friends who had a major label deal, a very well-known producer, a number two single in Detroit -- but ended up with the producer throwing out almost all their original songs and writing most of the album with his "stable" of hack writers and generating so much debt that after the second album stiffed, the label sued them for recoupable advances and ended up taking their gig van in the settlement).

As someone who was told repeatedly as a kid by a series of music educators that he had "absolutely no musical talent whatsoever," my goals were considerably more modest: be able to play guitar and maybe keyboards well enough to write songs and maybe entertain myself and impress the occasional girl. And I was able to achieve that... ;)

• Members

I was bored one day and decided to go to a local book shop. I headed to find some learning material, but couldn't find anything and was stuck buying a book called " I Don't Need A Record Deal : An Indie's Guide Book ".

I got half way through untill I had to put it down. What it was talking about is the crap you will have to go through if you want to become a signed artist. How the "deals" really work, how you end up being in debt and very unhappy 9 out of 10 times. IT was painting a picture that if you want it you need to do it yourself. It was a great read and the only reason I put it down was it stated "you can never stop learning". Go get vocal lessons, go do something so that you start to feel that absolute feeling that your music is awesome. That you enjoy each and everyone of your songs for you know how "good" it is and how much has gone into it. That's when I put the book down realizing that I have a lot of work to do untill I am satisfied with my work.

I've thought about bands and this and that. My family tells me that I should try to go solo for theres so much crap that will occur within a band.

I like the thought of being an Indie artist and pushing ME, for me but I'm just waiting to feel " content " with my music.

I like the thought of a timer and scheduled efforts. I do , do that just with out a timer. Maybe the timer will help though, I'm going to go get one :p

That essay was interesting, only left me realizing that if you are a talented person anything you touch will be gold. Being a professional means you have dedicated yourself I suppose to one thing. Well if your a gift to the world then really anything you do will just be what it is and people will love it.

One Blue Nine : Sure has some stellar beats !

If I am having trouble focusing my energy does anyone think it would be a good idea to start producing and working towards final copies of songs ?

Right now I am just practising and learning to become better. Has any one found that when they applied themselves to a finished project it focused there mind and in the end having something to look at/hear made the time a little bit more worth it ? ( that's what I think when I listen to your band Blue2Blue )

Keep on rocking everyone

• Moderators

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, just your opening and your post directly above. Has someone mentioned performing?

Sometimes the vacuum of creation feels incomplete. To perform your work is to complete that cycle. It also lets you know in no uncertain terms what sucks about your output. Knowing where you suck and where you shine are what it's all about.

Don't wait for your work to be perfect. It never will be. Get out and play for people and you will find your stride in short measure. Use that experience to become the best you can be.

• Members

...I enjoy this at times but I also see that playing music only for yourself just isnt the same as for others...

...I don't know how to apply creativity to making people enjoy themselves in a listening atmosphere, that's probably the biggest thing
:idea:

...I have very powerful moving songs that I usually end up singing as loud as I can portraying this deep emotion, but I find that a hard pill to swallow at open mics and what not. Then I feel like then yes maybe I should be more mainstream and that's when some frustration comes I guess...

Based on these comments, it appears to me that you would like the freedom to make the music you want to make without having to compromise, but you would also like some kind of audience for what you do. That's understandable. As satisfying is it can be to make music or art for the pure enjoyment of it, I doubt that there are many artists who don't seek some sort of validation for what they do.

What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have influences? Any musicians you admire or look up to? As much as musicians pride themselves in being unique, I don't think influences are bad at all. Even the most groundbreaking musicians had them (and by now, pretty much everything's been done, anyway). In fact, this might actually help you in finding your niche. People like to hear things that remind them of something their already familiar with, and if you can find people who are into the kind of stuff you're into, you've got a potential audience. It may be a small one, but it exists.

Also the suggestion a few people brought up of playing with other people is a very good one. Not only does this help you hone your craft and become a better musician, but it allows you to network with other like-minded individuals who might be able to help you with what you're trying to do. One of the benefits of being part of a local music "scene" or community is the mutual support it offers. See if you can find one in your town, and if you can't, consider the possibility of moving back to the city at some point. The chances are much greater of finding like-minded people in the larger populated areas--not that one doesn't exist where you are now. It may just be more of a challenge to find.

And I wouldn't sweat the idea of not being able to make a living solely from music. Just by hanging around in these forums, I've come to realize that idea is a pipe dream. The less you are relying on music as a source of income, the less you have to worry about being "mainstream", the more you are free to do the kind of music you want to do.

• Moderators

True that !
:cop:
Do open mic's count ? I can't think of many other entry level ways of performing ?

Of course. A performance can be anything between 1 tune at an open mic to a headlining spot. Just get in front of people. It's amazing how quickly everything you do changes after performing. Like I said... it will complete the cycle. Then you're a goner 'cause there's no turning back. Like heroin. Or chocolate.

• Members

I was bored one day and decided to go to a local book shop. I headed to find some learning material, but couldn't find anything and was stuck buying a book called " I Don't Need A Record Deal : An Indie's Guide Book ".

I got half way through untill I had to put it down. What it was talking about is the crap you will have to go through if you want to become a signed artist. How the "deals" really work, how you end up being in debt and very unhappy 9 out of 10 times. IT was painting a picture that if you want it you need to do it yourself. It was a great read and the only reason I put it down was it stated "you can never stop learning". Go get vocal lessons, go do something so that you start to feel that absolute feeling that your music is awesome. That you enjoy each and everyone of your songs for you know how "good" it is and how much has gone into it. That's when I put the book down realizing that I have a lot of work to do untill I am satisfied with my work.

I've thought about bands and this and that. My family tells me that I should try to go solo for theres so much crap that will occur within a band.

I like the thought of being an Indie artist and pushing ME, for me but I'm just waiting to feel " content " with my music.

I like the thought of a timer and scheduled efforts. I do , do that just with out a timer. Maybe the timer will help though, I'm going to go get one
:p
That essay was interesting, only left me realizing that if you are a talented person anything you touch will be gold. Being a professional means you have dedicated yourself I suppose to one thing. Well if your a gift to the world then really anything you do will just be what it is and people will love it.

One Blue Nine : Sure has some stellar beats !

If I am having trouble focusing my energy does anyone think it would be a good idea to start producing and working towards final copies of songs ?

Right now I am just practising and learning to become better. Has any one found that when they applied themselves to a finished project it focused there mind and in the end having something to look at/hear made the time a little bit more worth it ? ( that's what I think when I listen to your band Blue2Blue )

Keep on rocking everyone

First, thanks for the very kind words!

At this point, I'm pretty self-motivating but like any artist, there are days when I wonder why I keep on making my tinky tunes. It's definitely very nice to know they're reaching someone. For sure.

As I intimated in my earlier post, learning how to play music and fit into that world -- on any level -- was, for me, a total struggle. My parents and I really were told several times that I had "no musical talent, whatsoever" and -- though it still sounds harsh to me -- and even somewhat wrongheaded -- I understand why they did it. One was a piano teacher who didn't want to waste my parents' money or her time and another was a grade school 'circuit' music teacher (he showed up at different schools on different days) with very limited resources (at least in those days they tried to have some music education in grade school) and, clearly, there were not resources enough to deal with the severely talent-challenged. ;)

But, somehow, I managed to struggle through to some level of competency once I got to be old enough to reject the educational orthodoxy I'd been raised in. (Talent? Who needs it? Not me!)

It was a long haul.

And -- to roll around finally to answer your question -- for me, it very much did help to be able to work on recorded projects -- though they were few and far between my first couple years -- my reel-to-reel was stolen not too long after I started and for a number of years I didn't even have a cassette recorder.

My first few recordings -- okay, the first few score recordings, maybe ;) -- were pretty rough, even embarrassing. But they gave me some measure of what I was doing and, by ignoring the bad stuff to some extent and focusing on what went right, I was able to positively reinforce myself. And while it was sometimes two steps forward, one step back, I was able tos ee progress over time -- and that was distinctly reassuring.

Of course, it's also easy to get discouraged by my own efforts, too.

And it is not at all uncommon for me to enjoy one of my tunes on Monday, hate it on Tuesday, and be back around to, Oh, it's not so bad, on Wednesday. So I try to keep some perspective.

I try never to dwell on feelings of discouragement or inadequacy though they cross my mind as they do most folks, I'm sure. When I feel that way, I try to change the inner monologue by, essentially, distracting myself with work.

Giving up is not an option. I struggled too long to figure out how to tune my friggin' guitar to give up now... ;)

So when I'm feeling inadequate/lame/like a tin-eared poseur I stipulate to myself that, of course, I am not where I would like to be (that would be someplace in the Jimi Hendrix/Christopher Parkening sphere), that I am, however, much farther along than I once dreamed I could ever be, and that the way to get better is to pick up that guitar or uncover that keyboard and get to work!

;)

• Members

One can hope that talent always succeeds, -- there are times when the gifted - sometimes because of the gift - can be under-appreciated, appreciated only by a few, apprecited only posthumously.

In painting, the term "impressionist" was origianlly a perjorative!

[There's a neat pop-history book "Raw Deal" which discussed historical exmaples of talent individuals who's midas touch failed them]

the examples in the essay had the commonality of being dedicated amateurs -- that was one of the things Andersen was pointing to.

That the professional has some skill doesn't imply that the amateur does not have skill or focus (fencing is a good example...way way focused, no real financial ROI)

hell, there are certainly professional hacks and there are gifted amateurs)

given the traditional definition - "professional" and "amateur" aren't uite as mutually exclusive (at least in underlying concept) as we make em today

crap happens in groups of people - "{censored} management" is part of any signifigant endeavor, it's often the part we dont want to deal with (it's hard)

Thing about the {censored} management in the kitches with your sous, the dish dogs, front of house assho--I mean people

also, playing in "a band" isn't the only way to play with people - there are simpler projects, instructional ensembles, even jams and hootenanies

don't form "a band" work up "a couple of tunes with a couple of guys" no big deal, nobody signed anything in blood, it's just a couple of tunes with a couple of guys

esp at 2.5 years this can be really important

most importantly...don't think...DO

as Lee talked about, you never really get "ready"

"ziggy sucked up into his miiii-eee-iind. Like a Leper messiah.."

seriously, besides the practical benefits of skills advancement and social networking -- it can really tweak (in a helpful way) the ole noodle.

It can bring us out of an overly self-centered (I don't mean it as "arrogant" just where the center is) approach and put the center somewhere between you and the audience and among the other musos.

It's an easy trap to fall into "I want to do it my way and have control and make it about me", and you can easilly succeed "Here's a song I wrote about my favorite subject...me, it's called "ME" and you'll find it on my latest album entitled "ME" :D

I'm not saying that's what you are doing, just outlining one of the pitfalls - and I don't mean that folks have to be arrogant to fall into that, I think we all can from time to time. I just mean its a common way for musical advancement to get retarded

FWIW - much of classical guitar can be solo and self-contained...so it's a problem I've been victim to and am intimately familiar with ;)

coming out of the head and dealing with other musicains with strengthen your musical identity AND technique (you cant hide from your weak spots...you'll have to develop a strong B game too)

IF any of this is sounding negative or harsh then Ive misspoken.

I am all for your pursuit...all I ask is that you remember to enjoy the ride -- I think we all forget that from time to time

• Members

I started playing music two and a half years ago and everyday just seems to get harder and harder as I see what it's going to take to get out there.

Well.... You've got to like it for the process itself.

I don't know what I'm doing anymore from a "business" standpoint. I still make music, and I still love hearing what's in my brain turn into "reality". I wish I knew how I could make what I do more suitable for "getting it out there", but that appears to be my Achille's heel.

That, and hard drives going "poof".

• Members

Some wisom from the masters:

"It ain't what you do, its the way that you do it...You can try, don't mean a thing, take it easy, then your jive will swing."-J. Lunceford

"My life got so much better when I learned to say 'so what.'"-A. Warhol

"Trying is the first step towards failure."-H. Simpson

I used to get frustrated with playing music back when I had thoughts of stardom in the back of my mind. Later I realized that the only reward for playing that I can count on, is my own enjoyment. Its supposed to be fun. If you just relax and have fun everything, even learning difficult parts, will get easier. If you can't have fun while playing no one will ever want to listen to you. (Not that its possible to have fun 100% of the time)

Archived