How do I get the grille panels off sealed back Peaveys?

thankyou

• Members

I want to replace the drivers in a pair of 2X10 Peavey PA or monitor cabinets from the . The back and sides are covered with Tolex and it looks like there's only front access. Anybody know how they come off? I think they were made in the 70's or 80's. They have a kind of burshed aluminum trim panel on either side of the grille.

• Members

Most of these had plastic-interlock fasteners at each corner inside the grill panel (like super velcro). You'd have to wedge a screwdriver underneath and pry it off. To put the grill back on, you'd have to use a hammer to pound each corner down (with a block of wood between the hammer and grill to prevent damage).

• Members

Hey thanks, 60, I was hesitating using the bigger hammer approach, but after a little prying and removing the corner protectors, they came off. Turns out there are two different 10" drivers in the box, one has a smaller voice coil, a square magnet and a very stiff cone. The other driver has a round magnet, larger voice coil and a more normal feeling cone. I'm guessing the stiff-coned driver is for low freq. and the other is more full range, but there is no crossover.

Archived