THE JOE MEEK STORY on YouTube. It's priceless.

rasputin1963

• Members

Pretty interesting. So what is the relationship to him of the current Joe Meek company that sells pre-amps and such?

Open one up and see if you can find any parts that you think might have existed in 1965. I didn't see any. That doesn't mean they don't sound OK, but they have nothing to do with 60's technology, if that's what you think you would be getting.

Steve

• CMS Author

Pretty interesting. So what is the relationship to him of the current Joe Meek company that sells pre-amps and such?

Ted Fletcher, who built some gear for Joe Meek, designed the original Joemeek line for PMI. Ted now has his own company and PMI is working with another British engineer whose name I can't remember.

If Ted Fletcher wasn't in the Joe Meek Story film, he should have been.

• Members

That was strangely enjoyable.

Thanks for the heads up!

There is no 1960's British pop act (possibly excepting the Beatles and the Liverpool crowd)--- from Dusty to Tom Jones to Petula Clark to Bowie to Cliff Richard to Eric Burdon to Lulu to The Stones-- who does not have a direct connection to Joe Meek and his Holloway Road studio... and I suspect Geoff Emerick and George Martin were well aware of Meek's inescapable influence. RUBBER SOUL and SERGEANT PEPPER'S featured the dazzling use of backwards tapes, weird echoes and reverbs, et.al, but Meek had been doing that (in pop songs) since 1960.

Apparently, Kevin Spacey is masterminding a new (semi-fictionalized) feature biopic about Meek.

I personally love that moment in the early-60's British pop industry, when it was teetering between the more quaint, genteel post-WWII sound... and the balls-to-the-wall psychedelic energy of post-1964 "British Invasion" sound...

• Members

I personally love that moment in the early-60's British pop industry, when it was teetering between the more quaint, genteel post-WWII sound... and the balls-to-the-wall psychedelic energy of post-1964 "British Invasion" sound...

Everyone's gone to the moon... I know what you mean.. :)

• Members

I like the bit about studio engineers having to wear lab coats. I think that's just too cool.

We really need to start enforcing this dress code again, just to differentiate the engineer from the artist... :) Now, go through your mind and think of different sound engineers you know in a white lab coat...

Archived