Don't drink from hotel room glasses!!!!!!

russrags

seems like most of the hotels I've stayed at in the last ten years have the individually wraped plastic cups. Makes me wonder about the rest of the room though.

I saw an expose show on TV a while back where they took UV lights in and started inspecting rooms... you don't want to know what they found with that either...

• Members

If we only knew all of the yuck we are exposed to every day.

How many guys piss all over their hands in a restroom, don't wash, and the first thing they touch is the bathroom door handle? Happens all the time.

Unfortunately, more than a few.

Yeah, exposed to stuff all the time. And I'm totally not a germ-ophobe. Well, obviously...I backpack all over the world, go off the beaten path, and it's not always hygienic. But the {censored}ty part is just blatantly swishing water around and putting it back, drying the glasses with the same towel that you used to clean the damn bathroom, using Windex to clean, etc. I mean, it's all blatant stuff that you would never do for your family because you know better, and here they are doing it anyway.

I've worked in restaurants when I was a kid and saw some funny stuff at fast food restaurants, but I didn't see people wiping down bathrooms with dirty gloves and then using that stuff on glasses, even with teenagers.

And I could fill a few blogs with what I saw and the funny stuff we pulled when I worked at Taco Bell. But with just a few exceptions, even teenagers kept stuff cleaner than what these idiots are doing.

• CMS Author

I almost always wash the coffee pot in a hotel room before I use it (and while the water's hot, wash the cup, too). It's not because I'm afraid of cooties, but so many of those pots don't get cleaned and the coffee tastes like old coffee pot, even when using good coffee.

A number of hotels that I've stayed in have switched to coffee makers that have the coffee, filter, and filter basket all in one disposable package. I don't like those because I can't use my own coffee and filters in them. They don't have real cups with these either, only individually wrapped styrofoam cups.

When I asked (I think it was at a Hampton Inn) if they had one of the old style coffee makers that I could get for my room, they said they didn't. The reason why they switched to the new style, the front desk clerk explained, was that health regulations now required that glassware be washed in a real dishwasher after checkout, and that the sanitary wrapped coffee makers were less expensive than the labor, equipment, and materials involved in washing.

Interestingly, in two other Hampton Inns (other cities) when I asked for an old style coffee maker, they gave me one. In fact, at one, it was brand new. I think they went out and bought it for me.

So now I've added a coffee cup to the growing list of "personal stuff" I have to carry with me when I travel, but more than once when I've forgotten to pack one, if it's a NAMM or AES show, Eveanna Manley has come to the rescue with a complimentary

mug.jpg

Manley "Tubes Rule" coffee mug

• Members

As a weekly traveler, may I offer a few hygiene safety tips? Let me first say that I am not a clean freak by any means.

1) Immediately strip off the comforter on the bed and relegate it to the corner of the room. Do you think they wash those as often as they do the other linen?

2) There's no law that says you can't pack your own cheap pillowcases. Be sure to NOT take them home.

3) OT: If you don't have your own bowling ball, really think twice about whether the game is important enough to you stick your thumb and two fingers into those orifices. At least they spray the shoes...

4) As the OP mentioned, plastic cups only.

5) NEVER touch or put your bags on the diaper station in airport bathrooms. NEVER EVER. Even if it means putting your suitcase on the floor. Urine is sterile. Sick baby diarrhea can kill you.

6) Those little packets of sanitizing wipes are a godsend on planes (armrests) and hotel rooms (remotes and drawer pulls).

I know number 6 seems nuts, but I was in Baltimore last year with a consulting group, and I was the only one of 6 people in adjacent rooms to NOT get horribly ill. But keep in mind that the worst Motel 6 is 1000% cleaner than the homes of 90% of the world's population. That which does not kill you and all that...

• Members

It gets worse: How many doctors take a crap, emerge from the stall, and venture back out onto the patient floor without going near the sink to wash?

How many guys piss all over their hands in a restroom, don't wash, and the first thing they touch is the bathroom door handle? Happens all the time.

The answer is: more than one. MANY more.

:eek:

• Members

Thru most of my youth I worked in restaurants and hotels, I worked in a couple large hotel chains.. Food & Bev, laundry, houskeeping(supplying the maids), barvendor(mini-bar), bellman...on & on.

I can tell you that these things are nasty and they are true in the industry as a whole. Fortunately they are not true for all hotels and all the maids in them. Many hotels are so incredibly strict on sanitary pratices that the maids have to follow specific guidlines and constant inspections throughout the shifts that they must score highly on, or they won't last very long. Other hotels not so much. In many cases maids are given a list of up to 25-30 rooms to clean in an 8 hour shift. Too much work for all but the supremely dedicated to do without cutting corners.

There are always a few maids in all levels of hotels that are nasty, inefficient, and always and strapped for time. The things I've seen working with those ladies are the most unmentionable things you could ever imagine!! it's really hard work, but if one wrong customer witnesses something from one of these girls, the entire hotels housekeeping staff are made to look bad.

Fact: Lazy maids don't wash glasses. It slows them down and they dont make there room quota.

Personal Fact: 85-90% of the maids I worked with did in fact send there glasses to the machine to be washed. I know because I was one of the crew who took them to the machine, put them in and washed them. And believe me they got washed, the housekeeping manager would watch me do it! After they were done, we dried them with clean laundered towels and put the racks back in the maids carts. Again most maids turned in glasses, there were a few that didn't.

As far as comfortors are concerned the policy was there was no policy. Inspectors would handle the beadspeads and comforters. If they felt they were unclean they pulled them and replaced with clean one. If not the comforter stayed on the bed for the next customer.

Here's a tip: Whenever you go to a new hotel. Find a maid that speaks fair to good english and has a nice personality.. Give her a few dollars tip and ask for a fresh, clean comforter. Housekeeping will have shelves full of them for just such a purpose, and, the maid you just befriended will look out for you for the duration of your stay.

For Motels chains however, all bets are off.. Take your own sheets, blankets, towels and pillowcases, bring your own cups, line your ice buckets(if they're not sealed in plastic), and dont touch ANYTHING!!!!!!!! *those are just MY rules*

• Members

For Motels chains however, all bets are off.. Take your own sheets, blankets, towels and pillowcases, bring your own cups, line your ice buckets(if they're not sealed in plastic), and dont touch ANYTHING!!!!!!!! *those are just MY rules*

Might as well buy a mobile home,.....

Archived