Recording with session musicians

eddieboston2

• Members

I've been writing songs and performing locally for years, and I've made a few home-brewed solo recordings with just voice and guitar. I think I'm now ready to do a full studio album, probably with session musicians, but I don't know where to start.

I could probably wrastle up a drummer and a bass player from among the friends I have in the local music scene, but I'm worried that they wouldn't necessarily have the same level of professionalism as full-time session musicians would have. Maybe I'm completely wrong in that assessment, so correct me if so, please.

Basically, what do I do? Open the yellow pages and pick the closest recording studio and tell them "Give me some musicians!"? Obviously not. I would imagine visiting a few and listening to what they have would make sense, though other than the basic sound quality of their sample reel, I don't really know what questions to ask.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, guys!

-Eddy Boston

• Members

Why would the musicians and studios in Boston be of a lower caliber? ;)

Some studios have their own rolodex, but I would suggest you round up your own guys and rehearse them well before you spend money on studio time. The rehearsal makes more of a difference than anything I can think of.

• Members

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't even think of Berklee. Silly of me.

I'm not putting down the talent in Boston, it's just that I frequently read about musicians going to Nashville or New York for their "big recording." Maybe that's just hype.

Thanks for the tips guys! Keep 'em coming.

• Members

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't even think of Berklee. Silly of me.

I'm not putting down the talent in Boston, it's just that I frequently read about musicians going to Nashville or New York for their "big recording." Maybe that's just hype.

Thanks for the tips guys! Keep 'em coming.

It's hype. There's good musicians everywhere. There are schmucks everywhere.

If you've been playing for years, ask yourself this- what drummer(s) & bassist(s) have I seen around town that have a certain spark that can add the right character to my songs? Simply approach them. A couple rehearsals will tell you whether or not to keep looking.

• Moderators

If you're unsure how to organize session players, why not hire a great local band. This is more fun in my opinion. If they're really good, they'll make your vision happen while adding that extra bit that only bands that play together all the time have.

You might only need the core of the group too saving you some coin. It works for Dylan...

• Members

It's hype. There's good musicians everywhere. There are schmucks everywhere.

I own a nail gun, a tape measure, and a table saw. I built out the bulk of my studio, and have done quite a bit of carpentry work on my house as well. I've even been hired to build stuff for other peopole. But I don't do it every day, and I'm damn sure not as good a carpenter as my buddy Mike, who's been doing it all day, every day for close to 30 years.

Studio musicians have a highly developed skill set, just like a carpenter. And like a carpenter, that skill set is developed by doing it all day, every day for years.

I should add that Mike, my carpenter friend, is a songwriter and drummer (and plays with a band around Nashville), and occasionally gets hired to play drums on sessions. For his own demos, he hires session guys - including a drummer.

Archived