Summer Music

dahkter

• Members

So tell me what kind of stuff you guys like in Summer?

Looks like we're having a soul revival here at SSS, definitely suitable music for the warm weather.

Curious what sort of stuff people like to here, or any sort of Summer music memories people have (performing or listening).

The Brand New Heavies first album was great for me during the Summer of 1992.

I'm sequencing a record right now, it's an old school hip hop record for late May release, and I think if it were coming out in December I'd want the track order to be a bit different. Also curious how people think the warm weather affects their judgements as far as how they perceive music, tempos, rhythms, keys, song order, etc...

• Members

Well, of course, since I've been a music subscriber, no summer is complete without at least one medley of summer songs, everything from Lovin' Spoonful's "Summer in the City," Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime," Andy Pratt's "Summer, Summer," Love's "Bummer in the Summer," Blue Cheers' delightful version of "Summertime Blues," and, of course, no summer collection of songs would be complete without at least two versions (typically as bookends) of Gershwin, Gershwin & Heyward's classic "Summertime" -- usually one of them has to be by Billie Holiday and then I just go hunting for another interesting version. Favorites have included Trini Lopez's pretty great reinvention of the song as well as Stan Getz's (off Getz Au Go Go), Joe Pass's, Wes Montgomery's (off Far Wes -- in fact, Far Wes is pretty good summer evening music, for sure) and Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross's.

• Members

Oldies, Motown, Stax, psychedelic stuff, songs that remind me of great summers gone by...as well as new stuff with a "summery" vibe...

I guess for me one of the ultimate summer experiences is to be at the beach with oldies coming scratchily from a crappy transistor radio, and the smell of Coppertone in the air.

Archived