Network Mac OS X and Windows XP?

Anderton

• Members

I am a moron when it comes to networks. Here's what I want to do: Share files between a PC running Windows XP and a Mac G5 running OS X. I've heard all I need is a crossover ethernet and then "click on the right things to network them."

Can anyone point me to a reference on how to do this, or can anyone describe the process?

• Members

Right click the drive and/or directory you want to allow access to in windows explorer, choose Sharing and Security. Set up sharing as preferred.

In OS X the shared drive/directory will show up under Network on the HD icon (maybe takes a moment). Double click to "mount" the drive.

That is my method, however, I do this through a normal multi-computer ethernet router so perhaps it's irrelevant to your application.

• Members

As long as you have a shared directory on the Windows computer, I've found the easiest thing to do is connect them both to an Ethernet network. It can be wired or wireless, and with or without a router. I use both a wireless network with a Linksys router, and also a wired gigabit ethernet connected between the two systems. Once hooked up, double click the Network icon in the Mac OS computer Finder, and the Windows computer will show up and can be mounted without a password.

• Members

Very cool guys, thanks much!! I did have to enter a password, though, to access the Windows machine. Now I can save screen shots on my "music" computer and access them from my "writing" computer without having to plug and unplug a USB stick! Thanks again.

• Members

If that's all you want to do, just attach the screen shots to an e-mail and send it to yourself. Works fine unless you need to work in realtime.

Best, Paul

Only problem is I'm generating lots of screen shots and MP3 files...and that means the music computer and writing computer both have to connect to DSL via Ethernet, and since they're already doing that, why not just do direct transfers?

So one more question: Is it equally easy to share files with two Windows machines?

• Members

So one more question: Is it equally easy to share files with two Windows machines?

It certainly is over a network, just have to learn to "share". In my case where security isn't a big issue I typically share the root drives of computers and external backup drives. I named my workgroup Guitar Players and on my network one computer is named LesPaul, another is named Stratocaster, Rickenbacker, etc..

At my house there are 3 desktop PCs and 2, or sometimes 3, laptops along with 3 Mac laptops. This may be overkill for a home where there are normally only 2 people present but I might be a bit of a geek.

I have a cable modem where the internet comes in and goes to a wired/wireless router. The desktop PCs and the oldest Mac laptop hardwire to the router while the other laptops connect via secured wireless.

All computers, save for the oldest Mac running OS9, can share files freely amongst each other and in the modern world of networking, setup was a no sweat operation.

• Members

I will join the chorus - Get a Router or a Switch!
:thu:
Networking is good. Gigabit networking is better.

I made the mistake of buying a switch instead of a router when I set up my home Ether system(2 XP and 1 Mac OSX boxes). I can't have more than 1 machine using the modem at the same time. A switch won't allow sharing. A router is the way to go.

Best, Paul

• Members

I made the mistake of buying a switch instead of a router when I set up my home Ether system(2 XP and 1 Mac OSX boxes). I can't have more than 1 machine using the modem at the same time. A switch won't allow sharing. A router is the way to go.

Best, Paul

You are right, it is another whole conversation depending on how, or whether, you want to connect the computers on your network to the internet.

For instance, I am behind a wireless enabled router using a cable modem, and I have a switch because I have more wired machines than I have provisions for on the router. Some people using DSL systems are limited to a single machine connected directly to the DSL modem.

So, yes, all of my machines can see the internet and share files. But if you just wanted to share files a switch would be sufficient.

• Members

For those of you who do have a router, the Tomato open source firmware gives you access to all kinds of little thing the OEM stuff does not and it is a pain free install. They also have some good newbie network stuff there.

A router is the next step up from a switch.

Just incase any one reading this does not know, a hub is basically a dumb splitter with bandwidth shared ( 1 pie, all ports share), a switch is a splitter with some memory of who connects to what and ( 1 pie per port, up to a max of 10/100/1000 mBits per pie depending on the speed rating of device) , and a router is both, plus the ability to make those decisions based on defaults, habits and rules sets and offers other network services such as DHCP/NAT.

And Craig, yes file sharing goes both ways pretty easily now. It really sounds to me that you are ready for a NAS.

• Members

It really sounds to me that you are ready for a

Ditto on the NAS recommendation. It's much easier and safer to setup a shared NAS drive than it is using Microsoft's and Apple's built-in sharing, IMO. FWIW, I just picked up this dirt cheap NAS with RAID support that I recommend highly.

• Members

Craig,

I just found an old article I saved from the June 2003 EQ magazine. Covers everything that you're looking to do.. including Mac to XP transfers. The article is called "Networking in the Studio" by John Krogh. Happy hunting!

Best, Paul

• Members

Craig,

I just found an old article I saved from the June 2003 EQ magazine. Covers everything that you're looking to do.. including Mac to XP transfers. The article is called "Networking in the Studio" by John Krogh. Happy hunting!

Best, Paul

Never heard of that magazine before :)

Actually I do remember that article, but unfortunately my EQs prior to 2005 are in storage. Guess I'll have to email John and have him send me the text for his article.

In any event, just to follow up, having the Mac and Windows machines networked is really helping, especially in terms of doing pro reviews where I'm constantly generating images on the XP music computer and posting them with the Mac.

• Members

EQ has a web site now?!? Damn, I'm always the last to know :) Actually, I didn't know it had articles posted from that far back, although I know there has been some serious work on getting things archived.

BUT I gotta say, the kind of info I needed was what the noble denizens of SSS provided - "Click here, do this, do that, done."

I guess I have to figure out how to network my Windows machines next.......

Archived