Yesterday (calling Bruce)

Han

• Members

There are still some pertty darn good big bands -- and, with all due respect to Harry James and his various outfits which had some pretty good players and charts, to be sure, but who were hardly the most artistically adventurous of their era -- modern big bands tend to operate on a considerably more aggressively artistic level -- since they don't even bother trying to please the pop masses [who think jazz is what Kenny G plays]. I realize this thread is about sound and not performance but... well... I just hadda say.

• Members

That would the "The King James Version" by Harry James and his Big Band. According to the album inside notes (which I have in front of me) it was recorded on July 29 and 30th, 1976 in Hollywood. These direct to disc recordings were very popular in the stereo stores of the day to show off the capabilities of the various systems that they sold. I can't even recall where I bought mine, but, I think it was when I was a NARAS member and got the NARAS discount. ;) I have some more direct to disc recordings by Les Brown, Benny Goodman, Buddy Rich, Thelma Houston and Pressure Cooker, and I am sure a few others hiding in my collection. They seem to have all been recorded between 1976 - 78 or so. King James was one of the first (I believe Pressure Cooker preceeded it). Others saw the success that that record and Pressure Cooker had and suddenly there was a "rush" to market direct disc recordings. "King James" and "Pressure Cooker" were both on the Sheffield Labs label. The others that I mentioned were on the Century Records label. Of course, all records before the advent of recording tape were recorded "direct to disc".

• Moderators

That's a FANTASTIC recording. I remember when it came out. My band's manager was an "audiophile". He was setting the scene for us before he put the record on his very nice system. "One mic!!!"

I'll never forget how great that recording is.

• Moderators

An AKG C-24 stereo mic. I just stuck it on the turntable. It is amazing the results that he got using only "one mic". Here's a scan of the inside liner notes. Enjoy.

That's awesome. I haven't read that in how many years? I remember sitting down and reading that intently when it was new. The beginnings of a new interest for me at the time. "Hmmm. Stereo mic huh?"

• Members

Amazing, one single stereomic and such a great sound. Mucho respect for the guys who did that!

In the mean time a CDR is on it's way to my place, recorded with a Fostex 300 and the same Thorens recordplayer we had last saturday. I'm very curious. I will keep you posted.

c24x2_04.jpg

Archived