OT: Brit author re-writes Shakespeare in "chav" speak...

• Members

A "chav" is the word given to the young, uneducated, ruffians who populate today's London. They listen to rap, fight in public, threaten tourists, have multiple baby daddies, haunt McDonalds's, wear Burberry's clothing (your guess is as good as mine), and indulge in a dense, expletive-filled Cockney.

British scholar Martin Baum is concerned there is a young British contingent who will not be able to savor the plays of the great Bard of Stratford.

With that in mind, he has translated several of Shakespeare's plays into Chav-speak. Below is the Table of Contents, as well as some excerpts...

ALL

• Members

I don't think that's even going to get the horse to water, let alone make it drink.

If they're uneducated, as in can't read, what good does writing it in their vernacular do? And I don't believe they'd attend a play even if it were staged that way.

• Members

I don't think that's even going to get the horse to water, let alone make it drink.

If they're uneducated, as in can't read, what good does writing it in their vernacular do? And I don't believe they'd attend a play even if it were staged that way.

You're quite right, of course. As blue points out, the whole project is more an exercise in witty literary snobbery... for classist larfs.

I'm reminded also of TV host Steve Allen's shtick, where, ensconced in leather armchair, pipe and brandy, he read aloud jejune 1950's rock 'n' roll lyrics with a grave, lofty poetic seriousness.... momentous pauses...

We're going to shake.

Rattle.

And roll.

Yes, we're going to shake.

Rattle.

And roll.

• Members

You're quite right, of course. As blue points out, the whole project is more an exercise in witty literary snobbery... for classist larfs.

Oi've 'ad me bloody headphones on too long. :lol:

OK, I get it.

Ya think I need to get out more?

Oh well, back into the breech with me.

• Members

I liked Steve Allen quite a bit (there were times when he was still big when he was pretty hard to take) but his hatred of rock 'n' roll bordered on the pathological, seemingly. It was one of his least becoming traits. I'm reminded of it when some older (and sometimes not older) jazz or rock fans slag hip hop from an uncomprehending, undiscriminating outsider perspective.

It's kind of like when I was the only person I knew who liked Houses of the Holy (it was not well received at the time by the rocker dudes, who couldn't seem to wrap their heads around the funky rhythms and was not well received by my friends because it was... well... Led Zepelin). I was trying to convince my pals of what a cool, whimsically surreal album it was when one of them found the lyric sheet (to my chagrin) and started reading them a la Steve Allen.

Nonetheless, one of those guys became a ridiculously huge Zep fan within a couple years and he still buys all the Japanese vinyl repressings, etc.

• Members

Doesn't hold a candle to the LOLCat Bible translation:

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.

2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz.

3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz.4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin.5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!1

6 An Ceiling Cat sayed, im in ur waterz makin a ceiling. But he no yet make a ur. An he maded a hole in teh Ceiling.7 An Ceiling Cat doed teh skiez with waterz down An waterz up. It happen.8 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has teh firmmint wich iz funny bibel naim 4 ceiling, so wuz teh twoth day.

Archived