I'm going to Venezuela for 2 1/2 weeks starting Thursday!

Ryst

• Members

Anyone ever been there? My wife hasn't been there since moving to Atlanta 5 years ago. It's her parents 50th anniversary so we are going to celebrate with them, drink, go to some beaches, drink, forget about life for a while.....and drink.

So any tips other than to try not to look at other women? :wave:

• Members

Anyone ever been there? My wife hasn't been there since moving to Atlanta 5 years ago. It's her parents 50th anniversary so we are going to celebrate with them, drink, go to some beaches, drink, forget about life for a while.....and drink.

So any tips other than to try not to look at other women?
:wave:

Don't look at Chavez!!OR say your are an americaN!:)

chavez_penn.jpg

• Members

I would just say relax, see the sights if you can, be respectful, learn a little Spanish (even if it's just pleasantries, it goes a long way), drink, have fun, wear a hat and sunblock if you burn easily (or even if you don't), try a lot of the cuisine, don't block out the sounds by listening to your iPod all day, take lots of photos and share them with us, and make sure you try a lot of the natural juices and different kinds of food that you can't get easily here. Look around to see what other people do if you are not sure of the protocol, and otherwise, just have a great time and party. Venezuelans love a good party.

• Members

Oh, and don't wear that T-shirt that I suggested in front of the nation's capitol unless you really enjoy animated conversations. It refers to the King of Spain asking Chavez, "Why don't you shut up?" and as Scu133 eluded to, was quite popular as a ringtone throughout Spain.

• Members

Oh, and don't wear that T-shirt that I suggested in front of the nation's capitol unless you really enjoy...

DEATH!

I'm kind of the anti-Ken, in that if there's a place in the world where I'm more likely to be hurt, killed, or even inconvenienced, I stay the hell away from there. In any case, don't try to provoke people into killing you and stuff, would be my advice.

Have fun!

Hola!

SECURITY

Venezuela, as many other latin countries, is dangerous, so take the "standard" security attitude. AH! Do not, ever, drink tap water. I did it once, i a 5-star hotel where they said it was safe... hell, it ruined my life three days.

POLITICS

As you know, Chavez is well known by "hating the Empire". Just avoid talking against Chavez in public places, where maybe someone speaks English and can report you to the authorities. Yes, they can get you in jail for speaking against the president in public, specially being "a dog of the empire" yourself (a.k.a. US CITIZEN). Just don't.

FOOD

My god, you HAVE to eat "queso de mano" (hand-made cheese) and maybe, pay a visit to the MAUTE GRILL restaurant. Great beef and local dishes. Oh, and of course, try the AREPAS.

Venezuela is just a great nation. Nice people, gorgeous women (but I have to clarify that it is a myth that all women there are good-looking. Those world-famous Miss Venezuela girls are "cultivated" since childhood so it is not really that every girl around is like that. COLOMBIA is like that! :) ), delicious food and wonderful music.

You will have a blast, there. Enjoy.

• Members

Hola!

SECURITY

Venezuela, as many other latin countries, is dangerous, so take the "standard" security attitude. AH! Do not, ever, drink tap water. I did it once, i a 5-star hotel where they said it was safe... hell, it ruined my life three days.

POLITICS

As you know, Chavez is well known by "hating the Empire". Just avoid talking against Chavez in public places, where maybe someone speaks English and can report you to the authorities. Yes, they can get you in jail for speaking against the president in public, specially being
"a dog of the empire"
yourself (
a.k.a. US CITIZEN
). Just don't.

FOOD

My god, you HAVE to eat "queso de mano" (hand-made cheese) and maybe, pay a visit to the MAUTE GRILL restaurant. Great beef and local dishes. Oh, and of course, try the AREPAS.

Venezuela is just a great nation. Nice people, gorgeous women
(but I have to clarify that it is a myth that all women there are good-looking. Those world-famous Miss Venezuela girls are "cultivated" since childhood so it is not really that every girl around is like that. COLOMBIA is like that!
:)
)
, delicious food and wonderful music.

You will have a blast, there. Enjoy.

Thanks Gus! I am already quite aware of "all things Chavez". My wife is only 5 years removed from Maracaibo and 99% of her family are still there so I hear a lot of things. I will speak no ill will of anyone while I am there. And I LOVE Arepas! I can't wait to try them there!

I definitely know the myth of the women. I lucked out with my wife. She is the only gorgeous one in her family!:D

We are going to spend 3 days in and around Angel Falls too so I will share all the pics from there and everywhere else when i get back.

• Members

I had a friend from Venezuela, dinner at her house was among the best eating among all genres. She was pursuing her nursing degree in hopes of moving back to Venezuela.

Seriously, no sex fun. I mean that. I don't know about you or your wife but if it's anything like a sex vacation, no offense, it's popular, I don't know you, don't want to offend you, just know that AIDS in Central America makes Midtown ATL look like Sesame Street.

The empanadas are made with wild fruits, the pork marinated in citrus and spices, rubbed and seasoned, and slow cooked, and handmade batter for the empanada shell. Eat an empanada once a day while there. Do this.

Also, if you have any interest in fishing, that coast has some of the best marlin fishing in the world.

Archived