Dirt Bikes

• Members

Never had one before...?

Be careful. New 4 strokes will rip your arms outta their sockets...For those of you old enough to remember when 4 strokes were slow, and have not tried any news ones....I am NOT kidding.

I had a 1999 YZ400F. Sold it in 03". I have not replaced it, but want to once my life settles a bit more.

If I had to pick the perfect older guy ( I am 41) dirt bike now, I'd say a Honda CRF450x. milder tune than the moto version, lights, electric start....sweet ride.

• Members

I never rode a dirt bike with a motor attached. :)

During my teens I lived on my CW though, which looked a lot like this bike:

CW-RACING.jpg

If I could go back in time and relive any part of my youth, this is the part I would go back to.

It's still hanging in my garage, but I've grown a little since those days and I'm a little big for it.

I do still have a Torker cruiser that I still ride with my son. It needs a little love. It's not nearly as tricked out as my C-dub but it's in decent shape and it still fits me. I keep saying I'm going to restore it, but I haven't yet.

I understand that classic 80's BMX parts fetch high prices on Ebay.

• Members

The first time I ever did a wheelie on a motorcycle was on a little Hodaka 100 that had once been the fastest 100 cc dirt bike in California (before my cousin detuned it a little to make it easier to ride). It was my first time on a relatively high performance 2-stroke and when he said, give it a little gas when you hear it get "on the pipes" I did and probably went about 35-45 degrees up in front, which I had not been expecting. Then I hit a bump and did my first (small but scary) jump.

Good preparation for -- many years later -- hitting a big ol' wooden 3"x3" beam (likely from a broken up wooden jack palette) on the freeway in evening post-rush hour traffic (I slowed down to about 65 or so by the time I hit it, square on or I'd be, you know, probably dead). THAT was scary.

• Members

41 is the new 31...

Don't knock it till you try it...

My main reason for not having one is that I no longer have a truck, and my riding buddy is working an hour north of us, and our riding area is 2 hours south. It was very good therapy.

Archived