lotsa lurkers

• Members

It's interesting, I'm looking at the views versus posts, either SSS'ers are contemplating and not posting, or we have fifteen lurkers for every one of us who posts.

Hey Lurkers, come out, come out, have a donut and some coffee, intrigue us with your tales of lutes and harpsichords...

• Members

Nah, the pics were great, it's just a matter of lurkers lurking in a lurky sort of way, kind of like that alien spy that follows Ben and Luke around Mos Eisley Spaceport and narcs on them to the Stormtroopers...

Ben Burtt did some great sound design in that characters voice BTW...

• Members

The one thing about SE's is that they are always changing their algorithms and approaches -- trying to get around the thoroughly annoying segment of the internet industry devoted to so-called "search engine optimization" -- that sounds like a good thing -- but it's not about helping people find what they're looking for but rather tricking search engines to deliver up what someone else wants to hit those people with. I'm on a newsletter from a "web dev" magazine and publisher which straddles both the legit design and the SEO worlds and the worst of the SEO crowd are really a vile lot, if you ask me. [it's perfectly legit, seems to me, to try to get a good ranking in a listing of people looking for the type of product you represent -- but another thing entirely to manipulate and trick the SE's into delivering up what you want with no relation to legitimate search criteria. That's all I'm sayin'.]

In this era of RSS feeds and near instant RSS aggregation, it's not uncommon for a SE to add a page withing hours... I literally found a post on my blog I'd just put up an hour before with a google site search of a specific phrase -- which I was afraid I'd used in a previous entry. I was pretty shocked to see what I'd just added in the Google listing...

• Members

Maybe the situation is akin to a nude beach: Those who SHOULD, don't, and those who shouldn't DO. :wave:

My writing is still really lame. I know it and am starting to try to do something about it. I have been insecure about that.

• Members

Edit: My assumption in this post was wrong -- see boosh's post below.

I think a some of those hits are us posters hitting the "reload" button.

Every time we reload or reopen a thread to read responses to a topic we're participating in, it counts as another hit. If we edit our posts, then we also create another hit as our browsers take us back to the post we just edited.

Read a thread -- one hit

Post -- another hit

Edit post -- another hit

Reload to read later posts -- another hit

Post again -- another hit

Read page two -- another hit

and so on...

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I think it's the search bots mining for keywords.

I think it would be good for each of us to make up unique words in our threads and search these words on google in a week...

harmacordian

• Members

I just found a thread from the songwriting forum from 48 hours ago in the HC songwriting forum on Google.

But I didn't find a phrase from just the next morning in the same thread -- with two misspellings -- I was quoting myself as having written "dictionies," which I called a "mispelling." [sigh] So that seems to suggest that HC (or at least the songwriting forum) might be swept as often as every 48 hours or perhaps a little less.

Anyhow, that one wasn't in there, although it was much more unique than the previous evening's phrase ("resource listing so your commendation of those timeless writers' aids should be here for posterity").

I think it's pretty cool that I can write a pretty generic phrase like that and two days later, anyone, anywhere on the web can find it. Not that they'd want to, but you know... I mean... it's cool to be able to do.

• Members

I think it's pretty cool that I can write a pretty generic phrase like that and two days later, anyone, anywhere on the web can find it. Not that they'd want to, but you know... I mean... it's cool to be able to do.

Ever gone "ego surfing" ? :cool::cool::cool:

• Members

I'm not surprised at all. Lurkers in all the forums I've handled over the past 13 years have outnumbered posters by at least ten to one. They're either shy, don't have anything to add, or dialed into the thread and found it didn't interest them.

Pro Reviews are a great example of this. Check out the Toneport UX8 review: It has about 3,400 page views, and 71 posts, most of which are mine. People are just reading it to see what I have to say, dowload the audio examples, and look at the examples of the GUI. Unless they have a UX8, they probably won't have much to add, and they often wait to see if I cover a topic before they ask about it.

• Members

A lot of people are just fishing for information. They get it (or don't) and leave. That's okay.

And a lot of people are probably part of a rabid cadre of blue2blue blog readers.

Well . . .

Judging by my join date and comparative lack of posts compared to others, I'm confident that my lurk status is confirmed: "Junior Lurker!" Perhaps I'm being overly simplistic, but I guess some folks feel like being talkers, and others are comfortable as listeners. Still, I try to make a point to contribute when I can; usually smart folks like blue2blue beat me to it!

• Members

They're either shy, don't have anything to add, or dialed into the thread and found it didn't interest them.

Or they pop in to see what's up and don't really have the time to post. Some times I will leave a smiley to acknowledge having read the thread, but other times not. The bots might play a role in the views, but I think there are a significant number of people who lurk these forums more so than those who post. I, myself, tend to lurk more than post these days.

Archived