Craig - Mastering Chain Question

• Members

Craig,

While researching and learning about Har-Bal I ran acrossed a interview with you about your mastering chain and for the life of me, I cannot find that article.

My question is, what is your mastering chain. In the interview I believe you said something to the effect of using Har-Bal to EQ then compression. Any help finding this link or a basic idea of your mastering chain would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Members

I try to make sure what I master is "minimally processed" for two reasons: I figure the artist had a reason for mixing their music the way they did, and I believe that if you use quality processors, you don't need to do much.

So, I EQ first, because to me, EQ is at the heart of the mastering process. Then I do dynamics (usually multiband) as a separate process.

If I need to do anything special, like stereo widening or whatever, I'll do that and finally, use a Maximizer to take the very tops off of peaks to give the level a little lift.

Of course, there are variations within that them. For example, with classical recordings, I pretty much use EQ and that's it...little or no dynamics control.

Archived