Hyperscore - Innovative Compositional Interface

• Members

I heard about this on NPR this morning: Hyperscore. It's a software interface/program for composing music. Using it is apparently a very intuitive process, requires very little formal knowledge of music. But the capabilities seem relative complex, and the output sounds impressive. The NPR spot talked about using the program in hospitals and with children.

Anyway, this sounds absolutely fascinating, and I'd like to try it out. It's available for purchase---only $80, so I might but it after lunch to play with this afternoon.

Has anyone here actually used this program? I'd be interested in your opinion of it. There is surprising little written about the interface itself and details on the technical specs and capabilities.

http://www.hyperscore.com/harmony_line/about_hyperscore.php

V

• Members

I can't seem to make the Demo work for me... The program installs and opens correctly, but then when I mouseover the main window, the window goes black. when I mouseout of the window, the window's contents re-appear.

Any guesses on what's causing this phenomenon... and how I can fix it?

I'm running VISTA x64 BUSINESS (with DIRECTX 10).

• Members

I haven't tried the demo yet, but looking at the system requirements page, I don't think Vista is supported. That you're running x64 is probably even more of a problem.

Did you actually think a piece of music software would run on Vista!? LOL. Just trying to get your goat.

I can't seem to make the Demo work for me... The program installs and opens correctly, but then when I mouseover the main window, the window goes black. when I mouseout of the window, the window's contents re-appear.

Any guesses on what's causing this phenomenon... and how I can fix it?

I'm running VISTA x64 BUSINESS (with DIRECTX 10).

• Members

Yeah, there's a simplified piano-roll type of interface, where you create your own loops, or "motives". But, as far as I can tell, the interesting thing is how you string the loops together: by drawing colourful lines. The program then interprets them in a "musical" way. I put musical in quotes because I'm still not quite sure how that aspect works. In any case, were I a 10 year old with a tablet PC, it would probably be a lot of fun. But, I don't think I'll take the plunge just yet...

Still, the idea of new interfaces and ways to interact with music is quite neat-o.

There are still two other devices I'd really love to play with:

1) The Audio Spotlight (have seen/listened to. quality is not there, but still quite intriguing.)

2) Neurophone (look that one up. bogus, maybe. definitely weird. i wish it were really real)

Archived