What the......???

• Members

One day,...when I was 16 a guy owed me 100 Dutch Guilders. That was 20 years ago. I went to his house several times but he couldn't pay me back. One day he asked me if he could give me his bass because he still didn't have the money,...I accepted.(I didn't know {censored} about basses).

A few months later a co-worker of mine told me he wanted to learn how to play bass and this guy was one of the nicest people I ever met. He didn't have any money so I said to him,...I have a bass you can have it for free.

5 years later the guy shows up on my doorstep and hands me 1200 guilders,...I say :"what the ,....where's that for??"

He says : " The bass you gave me a few years ago was a Hoffner Violin Bass and it's worth 2400 guilders,...I will never sell it but I thought since you and I didn't know what it was back then it's apropriate to share ,....."

,...He was the one and only honest musician I ever met.

• Members

One day,...when I was 16 a guy owed me 100 Dutch Guilders. That was 20 years ago. I went to his house several times but he couldn't pay me back. One day he asked me if he could give me his bass because he still didn't have the money,...I accepted.(I didn't know {censored} about basses).

A few months later a co-worker of mine told me he wanted to learn how to play bass and this guy was one of the nicest people I ever met. He didn't have any money so I said to him,...I have a bass you can have it for free.

5 years later the guy shows up on my doorstep and hands me 1200 guilders,...I say :"what the ,....where's that for??"

He says : " The bass you gave me a few years ago was a Hoffner Violin Bass and it's worth 2400 guilders,...I will never sell it but I thought since you and I didn't know what it was back then it's apropriate to share ,....."

,...He was the one and only honest musician I ever met.

It's only worth 2400 guilders because Macca plays one. By all accounts they're a load of old crap

Nice story, though :cool:

• Members

By all accounts they're a load of old crap

Macca and the Bass you mean by THEY? ;-)

I have three favorite bassplayers,...

1/ The guy who backed up Jimi Hendrix

2/ The guy who backed up Bobby Marley

3/ A VST called Trilogy.

• Members

According to an interview I read, even McCartney hated the Hofner violin bass. He thought they sounded and played like crap...but he bought his because the first one he got was affordable (he didn't have much money at the time) and it was symmetric, so he could flip it upside down and play it left handed and it wouldn't look odd. By the time he could afford a better bass, his image was so associated with the Hofner he couldn't really switch. He still plays an old Hofner live, but I believe it's been modded to sound pretty good.

• Members

... He still plays an old Hofner live, but I believe it's been modded to sound pretty good.

I don't know if it has really been modded but I do know he had some extensive restoration & set-up done on it a few years ago. There was a period where it was barely playable because of intonation and action issues. My undersatnding is that the electronics are stock.

I would bet there is more care put into the construction of the current Hofner vilin basses than back when Macca bought his first two in the early sixties.

Archived