You in-the-box folks: Your favorite VST/DX ?

• Members

Well Synth wise (this is hard)

1) Albino 3

2) Stormdrum (although I use the individual drum sounds...not the programmed loops)

3) Trilogy for most of my bases

4) Arturia Mini-Moog

5) This tough...not sure Absynth4, Sylenth, Rapture, Atmosphere.... pick one!

I have some hardware (Virus B, XV-5080, SY-77) but do more and more in the computer. I have a lot of synths that I like.....but definitely the first 4!!

• Members

I'm a cheapskate. Almost all my favorite plugs were either freeware or came with various versions of different software. The exception would be BFD.

My most used FX are Timeworks' CompressorX and the EQ that came with Sonar Producer (2, I think). Next is the somewhat demanding and not entirely stable Voxengo convolution reverb Perfect Space (also came with Sonar Pro). Next most used is the Sonitus:fx sute (source: ditto).

My favorite instruments are Mr. Ray 73 modeled Rhodes-like piano; Organized Trio (B3 sim), and ZR-3 (also B3). I've used SFZ for Soundfonts for years, as well.

• Members

I absolutely love Kjaerhus Audio's free plugins. They sound great and are very easy to set-up. The presets do not need to be tweaked to get useable sounds.

My Gretsch Tennessean and homebrew Strat both sound great through the AC-30 model on Amplitube. Given my recording environment it is nice that I can get decent electric guitar sounds without micing an amp.

• Members

For synths, I always use the rgc:audio Pentagon I. I am so comfortable with it, I dial up the sounds I want very quickly. Also in the subtractive crowd, I am extremely impressed with the sound--though not the features-- of Sylenth1, and am all round pleased as punch with the Minimonsta. I use SampleTank 2 somewhat begrudgingly--loaded with a lot of Sonic Reality samples. I've toyed with all the mega synths--Absynth, Zebra 2, Rhino, Blue, Albino etc., and come closest to buying Zebra 2.

I've got a Windows 98 machine running the original Gigasampler, pretty much just for the original GigaPiano

I love some freebies: Crystal, Triangle II, PolyIblit, Cheese Machine, Mr. Ray (!!!!) and more.

• Members

I use Sonar and truthfully, I use the ones that came bundled with it for the most part. I do really like the Pantheon reverb plug especially though. The only plug-in that I use that wasn't bundled is "soundsoap."

Soft-synths are a different matter

• Members

I use Ableton's Saturator on just about everything. So much so that I made it a Send. Another dedicated Send is Spacer, a reverb that came with the Modern Group plug-ins.

VstNotes is very handy for keeping track of settings and whatnot. My fav instrument vst is still KeyRig, one of the best Keyboard racks for cheapskates like myself, imo.

I screw around w/ dBlue Glitch for much amusement but never use it on anything.

One of these days I'll spring for Ozone or something similar.

• Members

I most often use the plugs bundled with Sonar. My two "interesting" plugs for messing things up are the two from Camel: Camel Phat and Camel Space. I am also a bit of a reverb junkie.... like Wizoo. Pretty fond of the Digital Fish stuff....but have used it less and less for some reason. On rare occasions, I put a piano section through NIs Spektral Delay..... does some interesting stuff.

• Members

In addition to what comes with Sonar,

Camel - Space

Izotope - Ozone and Trash

A few things from OhmBoyz and PSP.

Instruments,

I could do most everything with the combination of Dimension Pro and Zebra 2.

• Members

In addition to what comes with Sonar,

Camel - Space

Izotope - Ozone and Trash

A few things from OhmBoyz and PSP.

Instruments,

I could do most everything with the combination of Dimension Pro and Zebra 2.

And believe me this cat has tried them all ;)

Archived