Oh, and Speaking of the Apocalypse...

• Members

I'm driving to work yesterday and I pass a bank sign that tells me it's 88 degrees outside on a nice, sunny day.

Then, 1 minute later, hail starts falling from the clear sky.

I have to pull over because THERE'S TOO MUCH ICE ON THE ROAD. In May. In the southeast.

I then have to switch my A/C off a few minutes later - and turn on the heater, because it's now FREEZING COLD outside, and it's getting cold INSIDE MY PREVIOUSLY HOT CAR.

It finally stops, and I slog to work through the fog of quickly melting ice, note a cement truck overturned off to the side of the road. The side of the road covered with ICE.

On the way home from work, it's back up to 85+ degrees, and I have to run my air conditioner again.

• Members

I'm 90 miles from Augusta and was out on my boat when the storm hit yesterday afternoon. We saw it coming and made it back to the marina just before it hit. We didn't have time to trailer the boat, so we pulled into a covered slip. When the storm hit, the lake went from glass-smooth to four foot waves in a matter of less than five minutes. My boat (17 foot bass boat) was tossed around like a beach ball in the slip. My friend and I couldn't hear each other talk because of the golf ball sized hail hitting the roof of the slip. About fifteen minutes after it started, the storm was over and the water became glass-smooth again. We went up to the parking lot and an 80 foot tall tree that was blown down by the 60-70 mph winds missed my truck by less than two feet. We couldn't go home, there were trees and power lines blocking the road, so we went back out and fished for a few hours. When we finally left, the power company was just arriving to remove the wires, I didn't have any electricity until around 9:00 this morning. You've got to respect Mother Nature, when she gets pissed, you'd better stay out of her way!

• Members

That would explain the every other day heat wave/freezing cold hitting LA. Literally - today 90 degrees, tomorrow 50. Never seen anything like it...

darn kids today global warming dad burned weather hooo-ha. Makes you wanna just up and tarnish sumthin' till the cows come home...

• Members

we've experienced similar weather events throughout the summer. Storms that just appear out of nowhere, do horrendous damage with large hailstones and then disappear. In one case it was was 2 kilometers wide and lasted for 5 kilometers and then disappeared. There was a distinct line along it's edges.

Ive actually got a carpenter raising the roof on my garage today so my Van will fit under it as I'm concerned about the heavy hail that's been around recently.

• Members

The weather has been getting increasingly ... aperiodic... for awhile now, but the meteorite-hail thing is new.

The typhoon-style storms seem to be increasing, but one other new thing that just occurred to me is the incessant wind. Gusty wind for days is new around here.

Already gotten used to the "what's the temperature going to be today?" thing. People around here can be spotted wearing shorts next to people wearing heavy parkas.

Remember "seasons"? Remember as a kid, you had "summer clothes" and "winter clothes"?

/ saw my first "green sky" this year as well

• Members

It's the Emperor Ming. If any of you saw the Flash Gordon remake flick, you might remember he had a button marked "Hot Hail."

Yesterday I was running around in my shorts. Today there was hail, and snow on the mountains behind me...and serious tornados in...Colorado?!?

• Members

What was that conspiracy theory-- supposedly on the North Pole, the CIA has erected this area with all these metallic poles jutting into the sky, and nobody knows what they're for... But whispers have it that these metal spires can control the weather now?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Archived