I must be a Perturbed Caucasian Homo Sapien!!!

• Members

Or maybe not...
...I think I'm only one out of those three. I'll let you figure out which one...
:D

Are you a metro-sapien?

Frankly, I've always sort of figured you were someplace near the eye of the melting pot... I mean, you were Afro-Ken at the old BB, weren't you? And now you've got that cool ME sounding handle... but, IIRC, (and my vagueness should telegraph about how much importance I place on this stuff) you have some form of Chinese heritage (of course, aren't the Chinese the OG polyglots?)

My own ethnic heritage seems to mostly come from the British isles, with a quarter McIntosh (we like to think of the rest of the Scotts as just hangers on), with a strain of Bohemian. The Bohemian seems to manifest as skin that goes from pale to dark brown very easily; I got hazel eyes from somewhere. (Hazel is the color that seems to shift from brown to green, depending on the light and other factors. I swear, my eyes shift color depending on what I'm eating, how I'm feeling... whether I'm lying... oh wait... I'm taking that last on faith from one of my ex GF's.)

• Members

My own ethnic heritage seems to mostly come from the British isles, with a quarter McIntosh (we like to think of the rest of the Scotts as just hangers on), with a strain of Bohemian. The Bohemian seems to manifest as skin that goes from pale to dark brown very easily;

I'm Scotch/Irish on the father's side and German on the mother's side. I go from pale to peeling very easily, one of the great benefits of my genetic heritage. And if you make fun of me for it, I grow up and take over a country and start a world war to get back at you.

• Members

I'm 1000% Scots/Irish, on both sides, since the year 900. I'm not joking-- Dad has done the genealogy.

Also known as the Ulster Irish, these are Protestant Scots who emigrated to the north of Ireland centuries ago... in the Ulster region.

There apparently is just no dilution in my pedigree. My Dad used to say to us, "You kids are like thoroughbred dogs: pretty but stupid... like a purebred Irish Setter that's shiny and red, but is so stupid that he walks into walls and doors."

Simply put, one is hard-pressed to find someone more of an inbred hillbilly-cracker-honky than I am. There are even some common surnames that entertwine on BOTH sides of my parents' family tree.:eek::freak: (In fact, it was my great-uncle, the late James Dickey, who wrote the novel DELIVERANCE. He obviously knew from whence he wrote.)

You'd think, given all this, that I would be a lover of C&W and bluegrass. Not so much. It's the 20thc. American Ashkenazi and African-American songwriters/arrangers I worship...:love: Oh, could I only have been a fly on the wall at the Brill Building!

• Members

I'm more confused and confounded than perturbed.

Scotch/Irish on Dad's side, and Norwegian on Mom's.

I mean, you were Afro-Ken at the old BB, weren't you? And now you've got that cool ME sounding handle...

So Ken, where did the "UstadKhanAli" thing come from?

• Members

I'm more confused and confounded than perturbed.

Scotch/Irish on Dad's side, and Norwegian on Mom's.

So Ken, where did the "UstadKhanAli" thing come from?

That's the stage name I came up with when playing with my current band. The drummer in my band came up with his, and not to be outdone...

And I was going to change it after every album ("Kendre 3000" and "Ken Fucius" were leading choices at one point) but then decided not to bother.

And actually, I was trying to be "Ken/Eleven Shadows" or something like that when I first signed up here at HC, and something went terribly awry, so I re-signed up with "Ustad Khan Ali" (which sounds mischievously like "Ustad Ken Lee").

As far as the Scotch/Irish thing, my name "Ken" is actually "Kenneth", which is Old Irish for "handsome". And one of my friends, when I decided I was gonna have the stage name of "Ustad Khan Ali", thought that it was an Irish name, hearing it mistakenly as "Ustad Connelly"!!! :D:D

(GO LAKERS!!)

• Members

Ken, at least you had that girl on Mongolian Idol or whatever show that was sing a tribute song to you. ;)

Half of me is half German, quarter English, an eighth Irish, and an eighth Scot. The other half I haven't got a clue as I was adopted.

• Members

Simply put, one is hard-pressed to find someone more of an inbred hillbilly-cracker-honky than I am. There are even some common surnames that entertwine on BOTH sides of my parents' family tree. (In fact, it was my great-uncle, the late James Dickey, who wrote the novel DELIVERANCE. He obviously knew from whence he wrote.)

I dunno about that. Both sides of my family came from the Appalachian area AFAIK. So they were of those immigrants who moved to that (very poor) area, and had decades long feuds (in the tradition of the mother country) and ran moonshine and all that. I'm sure that there were more than a few people in my past who were a little too fond of a family member, which would explain my screwed up genetic heritage.

Archived