RIP Pink Floyd's Rick Wright

bp

• Members

That's sad, when I met him back in the 60s seemed like a really nice guy...the kind of person who provides "glue" for a band.

With Syd Barrett and Richard Wright gone, I think that pretty much closes the Pink Floyd story. :cry: The musicians of the 60s are fading fast in the rear-view mirror.

• Members

That's a bummer. Having recently gotten Classic Albums : Dark Side of the Moon, and watched it quite a few times over the last month as I was drifting off to sleep, I really came to have an appreciation for how important he was to that album. I think that as they became more rock oriented after that he may have drifted further out of it and by The Wall was basically out and just was working as a mercenary. But for DSotM, he was incredibly important.

• Members

Keyboard Magazine is going to be doing an obit and retrospective.

Rick embodied something that's hard to find, and even hard to recognize, and that's understated brilliance. It's so easy to marvel at virtuosity and speedy playing. It's harder, and takes more maturity, to understand that other kind of great musicianship.

What... a... bummer. :(

• Members

Keyboard Magazine is going to be doing an obit and retrospective.

Rick embodied something that's hard to find, and even hard to recognize, and that's understated brilliance. It's so easy to marvel at virtuosity and speedy playing. It's harder, and takes more maturity, to understand that other kind of great musicianship.

What... a... bummer.
:(

Couldn't agree with you more

He was absolutely the right (no pun intended) man for the job :cool:

• Members

Some favorite Rick Wright moments (in no order)...

- "Any Colour You Like", the instrumental between "Us & Them" and "Brain Damage" (DSOTM)

- The muted synth solo on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (Wish You Were Here)

- The Rhodes intro to "Sheep" (Animals)

- The organ swells on "One Of These Days" (Meddle)

- The organ glissandos on "Breathe" (DSOTM)

• Members

From David Gilmour's page:

No one can replace Richard Wright. He was my musical partner and my friend.

In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten.

He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognised Pink Floyd sound.

I have never played with anyone quite like him. The blend of his and my voices and our musical telepathy reached their first major flowering in 1971 on 'Echoes'. In my view all the greatest PF moments are the ones where he is in full flow. After all, without 'Us and Them' and 'The Great Gig In The Sky', both of which he wrote, what would 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' have been? Without his quiet touch the Album 'Wish You Were Here' would not quite have worked.

In our middle years, for many reasons he lost his way for a while, but in the early Nineties, with 'The Division Bell', his vitality, spark and humour returned to him and then the audience reaction to his appearances on my tour in 2006 was hugely uplifting and it's a mark of his modesty that those standing ovations came as a huge surprise to him, (though not to the rest of us).

Like Rick, I don't find it easy to express my feelings in words, but I loved him and will miss him enormously.

David Gilmour

Monday 15th September 2008

• Members

I never understood 'em. :idk: Their music just always seemed dark, cryptic, insular and druggie to me.

Saul T., you were as cute as a bug's ear, my Notlob* friend, with your ginger hair.

Hey, were you one of those kids who already had a cool British accent when you were only three or four years old? How did you manage that?? Wasn't it hard to get those British pronunciations down pat?

[*Michael Palin, in a memorable Python sketch, wants to take a train to Bolton. He ends up in Notlob instead.]

• Members

You don't even really need to get them. Just understand this. Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard 200 for 741 weeks (14 years.) I don't think anything else really even comes remotely close to that. It's one of those unlikely to ever be broken in the foreseeable future, if ever, type of records. That pretty much speaks to the importance of the band.

And The Wall, it's just a masterpiece of modern rock music. It's epic. I don't have any sort of retro-festish or anything and I like lots of new music. But there's no one today who has anything like that kind of weight. DSotM stayed on the charts longer than most band's entire careers.

• Members

Floyd exemplified one of those elusive traits that any band should strive to achieve. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole A band where in their prime everyone served the song, rather than worrying about the spot light.

RIP. Rick Wright who stayed true to this ideal throughout.

• Members

You don't even really need to get them. Just understand this. Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard 200 for 741 weeks (14 years.) I don't think anything else really even comes remotely close to that. It's one of those unlikely to ever be broken in the foreseeable future, if ever, type of records. That pretty much speaks to the importance of the band.

And The Wall, it's just a masterpiece of modern rock music. It's epic. I don't have any sort of retro-festish or anything and I like lots of new music. But there's no one today who has anything like that kind of weight. DSotM stayed on the charts longer than most band's entire careers.

Dig this, Dean: I saw the LONDON PREMIERE of THE WALL in Leicester Square in 1980 in Septaphonic sound... I STILL didn't "get" 'em.... :idk: I walked out at the end of the movie, having no idea what I'd just seen.

• Members

Dig this, Dean: I saw the
LONDON PREMIERE
of
THE WALL
in Leicester Square in 1980 in Septaphonic sound... I
STILL
didn't "get" 'em....
:idk:
I walked out at the end of the movie, having no idea what I'd just seen.

That's a pretty typical reaction to The Wall, but you can't judge the band based on that one album.

Archived